Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #1 
Sparta321

Female Betta - Ick & Constipation?

My female betta hasn't pooped in at least a week, and she hasn't been eating for at least two. She's bloated, and has been treated with Ich. I think that most of the Ich has been cleared up, though I'm still on treatment. She's pale, bloated, swims fine, but is really inactive. Her fins are a mess! Her dorsal looked mutilated but I think they were just rotting, because the rest of my bettas are pretty easy going. The color has gone out of her and I'm really worried! Please help! I really don't want her to die!
Sparta321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi! What are you doing currently to treat the ich? Do you have photos? They're helpful in allowing people to diagnose what's happening. Also, can you fill out the form below so that we have more information?

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #3 
Sparta321

Of course! And I'm treating the tank with Ich Gaurd.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flake food, Betta pellets, freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once to twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Monthly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated, ripped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, inactive
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Ich Gaurd, dose once for two days, skip one day, dose next two days
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm guessing around a year
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #4 
Sparta321

Here are the photos
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #5 
Sparta321

Attached Images

Old 02-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #6 
Sparta321

I currently have her in a cup because it's too hard for her to struggle to come up for air. Since the cup allows her to rest on the bottom I figured it would be a little easier for her. Also, the rest of the girls are...well not bullying her, but my bossy one likes to nip at her a bit, so the cup both protects her and stabilizes her movement. I know she's not getting any filtration out of it but I don't know what else to do. Oh, and that black divider is there to help keep the cup in place, keep the rest of the fish out, and provide some sense of protection and darkness.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #7 
callistra

It's very difficult to see due to the quality of the photo, but she may have dropsy. Are any scales raised?

Is she being treated in the QT or is the whole tank being treated? The best treatment for ick is first and foremost clean water..

You are not doing nearly enough changes. A weekly 25% with siphon is minimum, you could go up to 50%. At this point I would do a series of 3 or 4 50% with siphon to catch up.

Also how long has this tank been set up? Cycling can take up to 2 months and during which time you should be testing daily for ammonia and nitrite with a reliable drops kit and doing an extra 50% change any time you see signs of either. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

I would treat ich by increasing temperature to 86-88F and leaving it there a minimum of 2 weeks and at least one week past the last sign of ich. Any other meds are optional, but if you don't have live plants you can use aquarium salt at 1 tsp per gallon predissolved as well - only use up to 10 days then you will need to make a series of water changes to remove it.

As a side note, flake foods are lower quality and can lead to constipation issues. Anything freeze dried must be thoroughly soaked in a cup with some treated water for at least 10 minutes before feeding or that can also cause constipation issues. Blood worms should also be only fed one once a week as a treat in replace of regular pellet meal. They should all be fasted one day a week. The pellet should have the first two or three ingredients as whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. They should get two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you choose).

It doesn't sound like your sorority is stable: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #8 
Sparta321

No, I don't think this is dropsy. Her scales aren't pineconing or anything. I know, I'm sorry about the bad picture quality.
The whole tank is being treated, but again, I think it's been mostly cleared up. I see no other signs of ich, though I am still going to continue treatment for another day or two. At this rate, I believe her problem is food based.
Hm, yes then, I will start cleaning more often then! I did only get them about a month ago...actually I think it's like exactly a month ago. I did clean the water when I saw the ich (signs), but yes, I may have not been doing enough.
Well, all of my plants are fake, and I don't have water testing kits but I did let the tank run with the filter on for quite a while before I added the girls.
Yes, raising the temperature and adding salt is what I thought would help! But my pet store person said, like quite firmly, not to add salt or do anything to the temperature. Or even take the carbon filter out before medication. That really stressed me out because I thought I should be doing something else, but I followed her directions (many people say she really knows what she's doing) and I think most of the ich has cleared up.
Okay, thanks for the food tip! And yes I have fasted them every week.
Maybe my sorority isn't stable...I did just get them a month ago, but I will definitely take your advice in mind from now on. Thank you very much!
And about my fish...she's so pale and...I know it sounds bad but I'm just waiting for her to die...she absolutely won't eat, trust me I've tried everything. I'm surprised she hasn't passed yet :(