Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #1 
technofox

Thank you

Hey all,

Thank you all for your help. I took your recommendations in my earlier threads and took my mystery snail out of the 1 gallon fish bowl that my Betta is in and my Betta is looking and feeling much better (not going up for air as much and seems more curious of the on goings around him). As for the snail, it is lazying out in its own container (I will get a bowl for it next paycheck). For whatever reason, the snail seems to mess up the bowl fairly quickly, even with me actively using a turkey baster to get its poop out of the tank.

My biggest enjoyment is having crystal clear water to see my little man swimming around, instead of a greenish haze from the algae (snail food) that seems to make a huge mess since they both were making a meal out of it. I notice the snail's container doesn't get hazy as fast, but it is already looking dirty, go figure.

The things that I have learned from here are:
1. The cup trick works best for my Betta, as he doesn't freak out as much and it is far easier to catch him (man are they fast ).

2. One gallon bowls (or tanks) are not enough for both 1 snail and 1 Betta, unless you enjoy cleaning every 2 to 3 days a week

3. Snails poop a lot and I mean a lot

4. Get a heater for your Betta to keep temps between 74F to 80F.

5. Mariomo (aka Moss) Balls help remove toxins from the water and Bettas seem to like them

6. Keep the bio load low for tanks less than five gallons (e.g. 1 Betta). Mariomo Balls don't add to bio load as far as I understand it

7. This place is full of good advice
technofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Glad your boy is feeling so much better I know what you mean when you say snails poop a lot!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #3 
technofox

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Glad your boy is feeling so much better I know what you mean when you say snails poop a lot!
Thanks.

My snail seems to be taking it's sweet time exploring its new tank. I shined a flashlight on it to see if it was still alive and for some bizarre reason it started moving away from the light. As soon as I took it off of him, went back into his shell (weird) I think it will take some time for the snail to adjust. I also happen to notice that my Betta had gotten the snail's foot more than once, so it looks like the snail took a beating the first night before they started to get along. It was comical sometimes watching the Betta purposely ram the snail knocking him off the side of the bowl At least the Betta stopped biting the snail

I am hoping my Betta will start creating bubble nests again, he hasn't since the last water change the day before yesterday. He is eating and swimming along happily and flair his top fin occasionally. Other than that there isn't much else to say.
technofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #4 
veggiegirl

Oh I really love snails but all my tanks are full of bettas and I do not like to mix the two. In my first fish tank ever I had 2 black Moore goldfish and some mystery snails. One day when I can home from school I put my bag in my room and did a double take when I walked past my fish tank. There was a HUGE snail in there like the size of a tennis ball!!!!!!!!! mum and dad had bought him for me as a surprise and wanted to see my reaction, I loved that snail

I am sure your betta will be just fine, just give him some time but he sounds like he is doing pretty good. A large water change can often encourage a betta to blow a bubble nest.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote