Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #1 
tealglove

Exclamation HELP! Something is wrong with my betta :(

Please help me figure out what's wrong with my lil Sebastian :(

Housing
What size is your tank? .5 gallons ( I know this size tank is unsuitable for bettas, Sebastian was given to me as a gift with this tank and I'm currently saving up to buy a much larger tank and a heater)
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no (he is kept in a rather warm bathroom)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? wardley pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet every day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% every other day with a 50% in between

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? i use a water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
pH: 6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his belly is a grey/white color and it appears that he has a little white "nub" where poop comes out. It also looks like he is a little bloated and i believe that he might be constipated. Ive only seen him poop once ( it was a normal brown color) and since then i havent seen him poop or any evidence of poop :( Oh! and the white "nub" has been there since the first time ive seen him poop
He also has tiny pin hole in his fins :( is this fin rot? and his fins are clamped! They've been clamped since i got him :(

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?He is stuck floating on the top of the water! He tries and tries to swim down but he just ends up floated right back down. He is not swimming on his side and isnt tilted. When is breathes air from the top of the tank, a very large bubble comes out of his gills. This just started today :( its almost like he has a hole in his gills or something :(
When did you start noticing the symptoms?The swimming problem started this morning and the grey/white bellly has been there since a got him.

How old is your fish (approximately)? Im not sure, but i got him about a week ago. My aunt bought him at petco

Here is a link to a video I took. It shows Sebastian's floating problem :( I just realized that you can also see the huge bubble that comes out of his gills at the beginning of the video aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfl_K...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by tealglove; 02-24-2013 at 03:24 PM.
tealglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

He has swim bladder disorder. Wardly is horrible food, and you are not feeding him nearly enough. For now, however, fast him for three days, if that helps start feeding him omega one or new life spectrum. You are doing good with the water changes! And the fin rot should go away in his new heated tank.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Well, he definitely has a swim bladder problem, which is causing him to float to the top. That could be caused by constipation. The best way to treat for this is epsom salts. This is the information given to me on how to do that. Since you only have a half gallon tank, you can probably add the epsom salts into his tank instead of trying to float him in another container:

"Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf. Let this steep for 30min and use this for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today. This will get him properly acclimated and start the 10-14 day treatment.
Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water make 50% daily water changes."

The white nub probably isn't anything to worry about. Females have this, and it's called an egg spot. Some young males get this as well.
I also wouldn't worry about the bubbles coming out of his gills right now, my male did that for quite a while when he had a swim bladder issue as well. He still does it sometimes, and so does my female.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #4 
callistra

Exactly how are you doing all of these water changes?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #5 
tealglove

For the water changes, in the morning, ive been pouring water from the tap into 4 water bottles(only 2 with a partial change) i then add water conditioner and let the water conditioner do its thing while i do to class. I then change the water around night time. for a full change, i scoop some of the out and then when it gets low enough, i scoop Sebastian into his little cup he came in and then set him aside and pour a tiny bit of the water bottle water into his cup . I then rinse the tank( and clean the gravel) with hot hot water and let it dry. I then pour the 3 and .25 water bottles in the the tank and then place Sebastian's cup into the tank and keep adding a lil bit of the conditioned water into the cup until the water in the 4th water bottle is almost gone. then after a little while i add Sebastian into the tank
Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #6 
tealglove

Sebastian update

sorry if there is a ton of typos in the post above, im on a tablet and im not quite used to the keyboard >.<

Sebastian is still very bloated :( i took out his gravel so i can monitor his poop. I was only feeding him one pellet a day because that was all he would eat :(

It kinda looks like his scales on this lil belly are starting to "pinecone" :(

Also about the fin rot....his fins are very clamped and have tiny pin holes in them, but whats strange is that the bottom of his fins have started to turn grey? it looks like a gradient. im not sure if that normal for fin rot, so i took some pictures (sorry! the grey blends in with the towel behind the tank)

http://i.imgur.com/blEeAah.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/m0UvONY.jpg

One without the towel: http://i.imgur.com/mjlcOpU.jpg

Last edited by tealglove; 02-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #7 
tealglove

I checked on Sebastian this morning and the grey area on his fins have doubled http://i.imgur.com/Dby4yeS.jpg

is this fin rot?! the images i looked at on google didnt help :( Please help guys!

also the white "nub" did look like an egg spot when i posted this, but now it's extended and he still hasnt pooped. should i continue with the epsom salt?

it also looks like he is breathing shalllowy thru this gills and he lifts up he head for air about every 30 seconds to a minute
Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #8 
tealglove

Unhappy It's a very sad day :(

Well, I left for class after I posted and I just came back to find Sebastian head down on the bottom of the tank He passed away I only had him for a week I cant believe I'm crying, but I am. I just wish I was able to help him I hope he was a happy little fishy for the few days when I had him before he got sick

I noticed that there was a new grey spot on his dorsal fin closer to his body, that was not there when I left for class this morning.

So I guess I wanna know if that grey stuff was fin rot and how to treat it in my future betta's if they develop it.

Also in the future I'm planning on using Sebastian's old tank as a QT tank, should I bleach it? or just clean it normally?

Last edited by tealglove; 02-26-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #9 
callistra

I think he has the disease in the sticky :( I'm really sorry.

Kanaplex and Furan 2 in combo for 2 weeks along with immune system booster vitachem at 1 drop per gallon in the water and soak his pellets in it as well.

I would toss everything in the tank that is porous and bleach everything else by soaking in 10% solution for 10-15minutes
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote