Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #1 
Lightning.Whirlygig

New Beta...

I know many people have topics like these. I am new to Bettas, I need to take care of them properly. Well, I know you've probably answered many of these topics but I don't really like asking questions and stuff on other people's threads. So..

I am buying a betta tommorrow. I had 2 when I was like 5, and they lasted until I was 7 and loved them. Barney and Bubblegum:P Anyways, I don't really remember what I need. I have one of those small plastic bowls that I got for free when I bought a TV....hehe. But I have a LARGE feeling that that's not enough. ha. So, If anyone could tell me what I need I would be very appreciative. I am not looking to spend a lot of money on him/her but anything that is ABSOLUTELY needed I will buy it to keep my Betta safe and happy :)
Lightning.Whirlygig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #2 
Falina

welcome to the forum.

There's a sticky in this section on betta care which should answer all your questions:

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15392

Any other questions however, please don't hesitate to ask.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #3 
Lightning.Whirlygig

haha, yea I just saw that 2 seconds ago:P thanks though! I love the forum already!!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #4 
Lightning.Whirlygig

Okay, quick question... I have had bettas before, like I said. I don't remember using a heater or anything at all and they lived in half gallon or 1 quart tanks by themselves. Any Comments?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #5 
SST

If you really want your betta to flourish, go with a minimum of a 2.5 gallon tank (5 gal. would be even better). There are some pretty hex ones out there. Get a micro heater for it (or the appropriate size). That way he/she has room to swim and won't be swimming in his own pee/poop all the time. The larger the tank, the less changes in water quality will affect them. Depending on the size of the tank you choose, you may need to cycle the water first. Let us know what you decide on and we can help you with that or figuring out how often to change your water.

My betta is very happy in an unfiltered 5 gallon tank I got from Freecycle. There was a sponge filter in it, but I pulled it to put in a different tank. I may put it back, I may not. Depends. He's got gravel on the bottom and some silk plants to hide in and a heater to keep him warm. He's a happy dude and swims the WHOLE tank and makes bubble nests. I change about 25-50% each week using a $10 gravel vac.

Welcome to the forum!
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #6 
twirlyswirly

my betta fish is a beautiful aqua blue color...and only HAD a little red in the tail. now he is turning red on his tail, and is starting to get a red dot on his head. is he sick???
twirlyswirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #7 
missfish1996

No actually brighter colors are better that means hes happy.
missfish1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #8 
Flashygrrl

Just keep an eye one that...it's odd for them to actually develop different colors once you're pretty sure what colors they are...
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #9 
tenpaull

Bettas often change colors, due to stress, disease and such. I bought a cherry red betta on a store before, and when it had Ich, it turned dark red, almost brown even. After about a week, the Ich was gone and after another week, he was back to the beautiful cherry red he is.

Some cases also report bettas in petshops with very pale coloring, and when put in a suitable tank with the right parameters, bloom into amazing colors the owner has not seen in him before :)
tenpaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #10 
Lightning.Whirlygig

wow good thoughts on the coloring. Okay well I have a 1 quart tank, sadly. I might move up to a bigger one soon. I've been looking at a 3 gallon one....
So I thought once a week possibly? Thanks for the help :)