Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #1 
babybluebettalover42

Red face Need a betta bug vaccine...

Hi everyone! My name is Rachel, I'm starting out as a pretty novice bettafish owner I had a couple of them before and have helped others out with theirs, thanks to the valuable information I have discovered on this forum. I have a little veiltail, his name is Xany (pronounced za-nee) short for the medication because I have anxiety and depression, my betta has helped me immensely with that struggle and when I first picked him up at my LPS he got all excited like he was having a little panic attack so I got because he seemed like the perfect match and he is. I really love this forum, it has given me so much insight on how to care for my new best friend so that he'll thrive under my care. I'm posting a picture of him and his tank. Please don't freak out at the size, I'm well aware of the best size for a betta fish but he's pretty small he's about 1.5 inches excluding his tail. He's a 1 gallon, Aqueon Minibow 1, it has the filter and I have a heater that stays at a constant 80 F which is the temp he's most active in. I live in a dorm and I don't have much space for more than the 1 gallon tank but when I have more space and money I'll upgrade him one day. Oh and I had a breakthrough for the small tank owner who doesn't have the tank space for a water bottle baffle (they can take up valuable swimming room in a small tank) but instead I cut an old prescription bottle as in to make the water bottle baffle and it works great (warning be careful cutting Rx bottles they're hard to cut), just an idea for anyone who had the real estate issue. But otherwise that's my betta bug schpiel and Go veiltails they should be kept alive, and with new exotic colors, they're the foundation betta splendens and we can never forget how important they have been in the development of the fancier fin varieties, just my opinion though the other fin varieties are obviously gorgeous and I'm sure I'll own one, one of these days but foundation breeds are super important to preserve the breeds that have followed and evolved (with help ), not just for bettas but for any species.
Attached Images

babybluebettalover42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi Rachel

Welcome to the forum and congrats. on your new buddy Xany. I'd like to help with a betta bug cure but there isn't one ;) Many of us have the um... disease :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #3 
veggiegirl

Hey Rachel,

Your betta is beautiful! I own 12 male bettas currently and will be buying 8-10 more, after that I have to stop because I will have run out of tanks and space...........probably money too....lol. I need a betta bug vaccine, I always go to buy one and end up usually taking 3 or so home with me mind you the vaccine would just need to male me strong enough to resist buying bettas once my tanks are full, not cure me of bettas altogether obviously
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #4 
babybluebettalover42

Thank you veggiegirl, I'm totally in love, he's a character he has a great personality, he always comes to say hi and swims around his tank when I come back to my room. It's pretty adorable, even if I have the worst day ever, he can brighten it up. IMO that is the joy of being a pet parent especially of the charismatic bettas that we love so dearly. Oh yeah I think just a cure for impulsive betta fish buying is in order. I feel like somedays I just want to fill my dorm with a bunch of tanks with new bettas, but I just don't the means or space. I guess I would want to give all my fish the means to thrive, and my dorm isn't the place to have a proper collection of bettas. My dream is to breed them one day, I gonna go to the veterinary technician school after my bachelor's degree then I would love to breed bettas.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #5 
Tabbie82

Hi Rachel! Welcome to the forum! Xany is beautiful and looks very happy. He looks a lot like my Maui. I definitely need that vaccine... I have four bettas right now, in two 5 gallon tanks, one 3 gallon, and one 10 gallon. I just bid on 2 more bettas on Aquabid today and am pretty hopeful that they will be coming home to live with me soon... So that will put me up to 6 and I still don't have the all orange betta with blue eyes that is my dream fish, so yeah... I think part of it is that not only are they beautiful pets, but they have such wonderful personalities. They aren't just fish, they are part of the family. Anyway. Welcome! Good to have you!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #6 
veggiegirl

Yes bettas are so awesome!!!! they have beauty and personality!!! I love the way the minute you enter the room they swim over to greet you and I have always been a sucker for bright rainbow colours They really can and do brighten your day!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #7 
Tabbie82

All of mine have such unique personalities! It is so cool when they rush over and wiggle at you. Gotta love the bettas!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #8 
babybluebettalover42

I know they have the best personality, Xany will swim around in circles and all around the tank all excitedly and then just stops and wags his tail at me, way too cute. Gotta love em. I love when I wag my finger at him and babytalk him, he wags his tail at me. One day I feel like I'm gonna have a bunch of them.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 gallon, filter baffle, veiltail