Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #11 
louisvillelady

I use a 40 gallon for spawn and grow out. I section off a smaller portion of the tank for the spawn, then when I remove female, I remove divider. I remove a little water each day, and always have a small trickle of water coming from a container set on top of the tank, and gradually increase the depth of the tank. I have found this to be the easiest way for me to spawn. When I first started, I tried spawning in a small container, and then transfer fry. Females were always getting pretty torn up during spawn, and always lost some fry during initial transfer. With the bigger spawn area with added hiding spots, my females get very little injuries if any anymore. I don't have to worry about transfer, and its time efficient to be able to add water without taking out as much each time. A 20 gallon would work as well as long as you don't have an enormous spawn. I currently have a spawn of 300 giant fry. I will be splitting them between two 40 gallons just to keep the growth at a max. I prefer this way! Good luck with your future spawns! Look forward to seeing them! :)
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #12 
Myates

20g+ is the recommended for grow outs, depending upon how many fry you have.. I use multiple 29gs for my grow outs. You have to do pretty much daily water changes as it is to help rid of the hormone they produce.. so really the amount of waste isn't as big of an issue if you keep up with the proper water changes.

louisvillelady has the right idea - partition off a section of the tank for breeding.. personally the smaller the space, the easier they breed for me. The only downside to using a large tank is:

A) much more ground to clean out with a tiny airline tubing.. leaving dead food on the bottom puts them at risk for bacteria infections, etc, as many tend to stay at the bottom for the first couple weeks. So it's a lot of work to clean out the bigger tank until they are big enough to use a larger siphon.. even with airline tubing you can easily suck them up for a few weeks.

B) have to spread out the food more - so may end up over feeding to make sure they all get food.

Now, what I say isn't set in stone.. everyone does it different and have different opinions and what works best for them. Mine spawn within hours of being introduced when I use a really small container, whereas it can take days and even weeks for me to get a virgin pair to breed in the "common 10g set up".

I have questioned whether or not if I wanted to use my small container within one of my 29gs for breeding.. so it's worth a shot if you really want to. May work out great for you like it does louisvillelady :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #13 
tekkguy

Instead of dealing with an uncycled tank, maybe stick an extra sponge filter in your sorority? Keep it on a really low flow, and put it in the breeding/grow-out when needed, move it back after. Then you'll always have a fully cycled, fry-safe filter ready to go.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #14 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Instead of dealing with an uncycled tank, maybe stick an extra sponge filter in your sorority? Keep it on a really low flow, and put it in the breeding/grow-out when needed, move it back after. Then you'll always have a fully cycled, fry-safe filter ready to go.
Ohhhh that's a really good idea! Think I can just stick it in the 10G since it'll be placed relatively close to the breeding tank?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #15 
aemaki09

I got one from Walmart. Not the sterilite brand because I had heard bad things, but got the name brand, which I forget right now
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #16 
Hadoken Kitty

was it rubbermaid?

wish they weren't selling them in sets. I just need one!!! Lol.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #17 
aemaki09

Yes! Rubbermaid! I'm glad you knew that!
Anyways, I have never had to buy them in sets. I have had to buy Tupperware in sets, but not the huge Rubbermaid containers. You might just have to go to the right store to find them.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #18 
louisvillelady

Just a suggestion if you decide to use a plastic container. Fill it up and let it set a couple hours, rinse good and repeat a couple of times. This will purge some of the plastic "fumes" or whatever you want to call it that they put off. I have used plastic containers in the past and they worked fine for me. I didn't like the fact that you couldn't see the fry as well.lol
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #19 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Ohhhh that's a really good idea! Think I can just stick it in the 10G since it'll be placed relatively close to the breeding tank?
Stick it anywhere, if the tank is up and running it'll cycle, and be live when you need it. Closer is better, to avoid unhooking/moving the air hose etc.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #20 
Hadoken Kitty

You guys are so awesome. Thanks for all the help! I won't be going to get the rubbermaid tub any time soon. I'm about to get snowed in by another 10-12 inches of snow. Buuuut. I will do that and rinse rinse rinse it(probably use a shower to rinse just to make things easy xD). Things seems to be working out for the better. This is a really nice change from last night. Again, thanks everyone! (: