Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #21 
Myates

I personally wouldn't use a sponge from another tank - if there are any problems in the other tank, bacteria, etc, could be transferred over.. even something that don't both adults could bother the fragile fry.

But that is just my paranoia :)

I use small tubs for my breeding.. here is my latest one. I got a few clear ones though to make seeing eggs/fry a bit easier. I do drill (or use something sharp) to poke semi small holes in the sides (6-8 holes all together) to help keep the water in the container and out of the container the same, so when it's time to transfer them into the tank they don't need acclimation as much.. I'll remove some water from the tub and into the tank, then place some water from tank to tub prior just in case. I keep the sponge filter (on low) during the whole process as the tub stops current from reaching the eggs/fry. I only will transfer the fry once they are free swimming.

In the breeding tub itself I just toss in an IAL leaf, will place live floating plants (from the tank) into the tub once the fry are born - but it's not needed if you don't use infusoria.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #22 
Hadoken Kitty

What brand other than sterilite could you find that sold clear tubs? Walmart's online site is showing things differently than the last time I walked in their store. It's a bit of a pain. Sorry if it seems like I'm having you shop for me. I promise I'm not trying to do that, lol.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #23 
Myates

Sterillite and Rubbermaid are the only ones I use. But anything that is labeled as food grade should be fine as they have higher requirements than others.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #24 
Hadoken Kitty

So is sterilite an okay brand to use? Someone earlier was saying something about it not being trustable compared to rubbermaid. I have some sterilite ones already. It would be much easier to do the two tank grow out method since I already have the supplies; rather than have to buy a whole other tub just because of brands...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #25 
louisvillelady

Sterlite is the brand that I use. I didn't see any adverse effect from using them. No weird conditions or strange dying off of fry, or anything. I believe them to be fine to use. But I also go through the excessive (lol) rinsing.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #26 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh alright. Well I planned on sticking it in the shower with really hot water, since I obviously won't be able to fit it in my kitchen sink. :P

I'd really like to be able to use something see through. That's almost as good as a glass tank, with like half of the cost! Besides, I think the fry might enjoy the not totally see-through housing. :3
Old 02-27-2013, 03:32 AM   #27 
Myates

See through does make it a lot easier! Like in my picture you can see a wash cloth taped to the side - I'll use those and dish towels taped with masking tape to prevent them from seeing me, which could be distracting. After this picture I covered up the whole front of the tank except for just a tiny bit at the top so I can peek in without disturbing them during their breeding. I kept the towel/s on while the father was tending to the eggs as well.. removed it once I removed the father.

It's not needed, but it does help with those fish who love to see you coming to the tank and wiggle at you.. this way they only focus on one another. Helps especially for the virgins.. but it just depends on the fish, some fish you can sit and take pictures of while they breed, others want to beg for food instead of doing the deed.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #28 
Hadoken Kitty

I think that's my problem. All of my fish love me so much...I had a virgin pair that I tried to spawn a little while ago...had to pull them out early, but they were both very distracted by my presence. I had to sit across the room, but if I walked up to check on them they both split and tried to say high from opposite sides of the tank. It was such a pain!!! I feel like if I did the towel thing it might work, though! I think I have a towel with a hole in it so I don't need to "make" a peephole persay... :P
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #29 
Myates

lol yeah.. all of mine know they see me they get food.. so I have to cover or they will always be watching. My breeding set up is in the extra tv/pc room, so someone is usually in there doing something or other.. even the dog plays in there which some of the fish love to watch lol.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #30 
Hadoken Kitty

I have a 22.5 g....will this work if I split the fry up once they're old enough?