First off, I will and can get very defensive if anyone suggests "omg just rehome him and get a new one" because not only is that an idiotic way to think about animals, but it's not a choice. Already had to rehome him once and he came back in worst shape. So please keep that in consideration when replying. Also have no one to hold him while I am gone.
I'm visiting a friend in Detroit MI, it may end up being a long visit PLUS I may move to Winsdor ON. Jim must come with me. Driving is my first choice, bus would not be my favorite choice but will be kept as a possibility from a certain area on. (2-3 day trip from Edmonton area)
First off: my plan for his travel: he doesn't mind traveling surprisingly. He liked basking by the window and exploring the dash of the car last time he was moved. Otherwise he just snoozes on someone's lap. Because its a longer trip, I'm deciding if I should use 40 hour heat packs (I will have a few (10+) of them), and find a soft pet carrier to keep him in. I'll bring food for him, but before the border leave them behind. I'm not taking his beast of a terrarium, there'll be a new one waiting on the other side of the border.
He will be staying in the USA, to avoid back and forth travel.
1. Is my plan to move him workable? Any advice? Tips and tricks?
2. Customs; do I need anything, or just call ahead?
3. Would be a good idea to get a vet check after the move (in case of stress)?
4. It'll be summer, so when should the heat packs be used?
5. Also curious if anyone in my area travels to Ontario xD haven't figured out how to get there lol.