Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #1 
royal

Question 1st time breeder questions

Hi everyone! My plan is to start breeding in April.I have done loads of research on this forum but still have some questions. Here are some:
1.how do you cull?
2.are mason jars those jars that you can buy at the grocery store in packs of 24?
3. My petstore does not sell live plants. Are silk okay for both the spawn and grow out tank?
4. Where do you find cultures and bbs eggs?
That's all for now. If anyone else has any questions,you can post them here.
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #2 
iJessie

Your pet store might sell bbs eggs :) of not eBay works to.
iJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #3 
iJessie

Or not *
iJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #4 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I have a question.

Besides money, what is the top reason people start breeding? It seems complicated to breed something very nice . . . from what I have read breeding "just for fun" is considered irresponsible? True or False? And why do you breed?
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #5 
GoodMorning

^Some people want to keep the blood line/genetics.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

1.) There are many ways to cull. You can feed to a carnivorous animal or fish. You can use clove oil. You can freeze in ice cold water. You can hit on the head with a hammer, though that would take FOREVER for each and every one.

2.) Mason jars are those ones that stores sell in 24 packs. You need to make sure that you get the right size, though. They need to be large enough for a fish to comfortably swim around. Usually one quart is the easiest to find, but if you can find something bigger then that would be even better.

3.) You can use fake plants for spawning and grow out. Most will leave grow out bare though, if live plants are not available. Live plants have many benefits including fry's first food: infusoria. For the spawning tank, you will want to make sure that there are plenty of hiding spots for your girl, since there will be much chasing/nipping involved.

4.) I have not been able to find the cultures that I want at my LPS, but I found bbs there. Ebay is a great place to go, but there is also the classified section on this forum. Many members sell their left over eggs, cultures, and plants to other members.

I want to breed, because I'm simply interested in the whole process. I enjoy genetics, animals, and feeling accomplished (who doesn't?). I really want to make color combinations and lines that are not only interesting to me, but also other people. I eventually want to show my work, but not until I have something that really makes me go: WOW.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

Breeding "just for fun" can mean two different things. Clearly my breeding isn't going to be my main source of income. However, I'm not just taking a male and female and throwing them in a tank just to see how things work. THAT is irresponsible.

Last edited by Hadoken Kitty; 02-25-2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: SP
Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #8 
CheeBetta

if i leave my male in the tank with the fry and he is kept well fed, will he just keep continuing his role as care giver?
CheeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

It depends on father. If you're a first time breeder, it's suggested to take the male out once they are free swimming. Usually a male who is well fed will ignore any want to eat his fry. Buuuut. Some males are "bad" fathers and will eat the eggs instead of simply transporting them around the nest. Then it is suggested to take them out as well. It's usually not a good idea to let adults and fry stay in the same tank after too long, but some breeders have written about successfully doing it. Given that they are more on the expert side than you or I. (:
Old 02-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #10 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Breeding "just for fun" can mean to different things. Clearly my breeding isn't going to be my main source of income. However, I'm not just taking a male and female and throwing them in a tank just to see how things work. THAT is irresponsible.

I hear you. I would have the same instincts, I would love to gather bettas I think are beautiful and breed them, that's why I ask. But I read a bunch of articles today that sort of made me rethink it, thinking it's really complicated. That just made me curious about everyone else.

I'm an animal lover and designer and I like science too .. so it just seems very interesting to me. But for me I think I'll just stick to having bettas as pets. . maybe I can breed some of those red and white "koi" looking platies one day instead :) I don't think I'd have room for a bazillion jars of bettas :(

Good luck to you and it would be interesting to chronicle your ups and downs of this venture :)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta spawning, food, questions, supplies