Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #41 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
yea, sorry I just edited my last post. I'm just using a 22.5 gallon plastic tub for my other one. I didn't have another glass tank in the budget. Though I'm not sure was to what I should use for a hood, though.
The big box hardware stores sell plexiglass sheets. You can duct-tape one edge to the container. I you have a drill, dremel, etc. you can easily drill air holes.
Otherwise, you can take the regular top for the tub & cut a lage rectangle in the center. A small hardware store will custom-cut a piece of hardware cloth (metal mesh sceening) that you can tape over the hole, or you can use a sheet of plastic canvas (found in the embroidery sections of craft/fabric stores).
The idea of using those rubbermade tubs is a game-changer for me! I want to breed my bettas, but I can't justify a 40-gal grow-out tank- I have no room for one, and it would be heavy and a pain to clean/change, etc. On the other hand, rubbermade tubs are cheap, light, stackable, and fairly unbreakable. Plus, I already have about a dozen of them!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #42 
royal

Glad this thread helped!
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #43 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
i've got two betta-cup lids, a stem of pothos and a betta cup cut in half floating in the tank to give him plenty of options for nest building. i already tried to transfer a bit of bubblenest from Leonidas's tank to see if he's pick up the work from there, but he's ignored it as well.
It's really hard to force a male to tend to his eggs. You can give him more time with the eggs, or just take him out. It's really just up to you. There isn't really much you can do in terms of getting him to build a nest at this point (from what I've read).
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #44 
Hadoken Kitty

Alright. So my tub was a little odd. It was 34" long. PetSmart sells tank lights to fit either 30" or 48", and then they have adjustable sliders to make them smaller. Sooo I got the 48" one and 'made it smaller'. Then my grandpa saw that we had some of those extra plexiglass things that go infront of fluorescent lights in ceilings. So he cut that to size and drilled holes in it (I'm not any good with a drill or saw or anything like that). Also, we unbent wire clothes hangers for support. It looks REALLY homely and make shift. Oh well. It works!
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #45 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
It's really hard to force a male to tend to his eggs. You can give him more time with the eggs, or just take him out. It's really just up to you. There isn't really much you can do in terms of getting him to build a nest at this point (from what I've read).
well i turned off the tank light and we left him alone for a little while, he's now got a monstrous nest that he's flitting back and forth between constructing and chasing/flirting with Nancy.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #46 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
well i turned off the tank light and we left him alone for a little while, he's now got a monstrous nest that he's flitting back and forth between constructing and chasing/flirting with Nancy.
awesome! (:
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #47 
jibruno

i use a 10 gal spawn tank and a 20 gal growout. i use a lot of medium sized plastic containers to keep my fry in when they grow bigger. and a couple dozen small tanks. this has worked for me in the past.
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #48 
Xaltd1

Walmart is great for cheap little heaters for the bins.
It makes so much more sense to have plastic bins! You can buy the size to fit the spaces in your home. I could easily fit several 20-gal plastic containers around my apartment, but I have NO IDEA what I'd do with one 40-gallon! (I could and may, surrender my kitchen table.. who has money to eat after spending $$$ on this hobby!
I love the plexi grid solution!
I have heard of breeders forgoing heaters and raising fry OUTDOORS in temps at 55 degrees! Yikes.
I wonder- could you raise fry outdoors in 40 degree weather with a heater?
I want to try this in summer here in the Northeast. The breeding I'm planning now is "getting my feet wet". I can work on a larger scale in June-July-August, b/c of steady temps 70-80+ degrees (plus lots of rainwater & live bugs).

Last edited by Xaltd1; 03-03-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #49 
Hadoken Kitty

How do the fry even survive 55*F weather!?

idk I just used whatever was laying around. That tank light wasn't exactly cheap. xD
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #50 
Xaltd1

I can't remember who wrote that article, but the author said if they are acclimated to the temp, they become used to it. I don't knoe what to think, but some cull candidates may be good test subjects :0(
Clamp-on work lights are cheap cheap cheap (like $2!) All you need is a CFL bulb & clamp it on the side.

Tags
betta spawning, food, questions, supplies