Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #51 
Myates

Nice set up, but one thing to be warned about - the metal wire hanger? Will rust very quickly as you will have warm water rising up (you want the humidity) and it will rust on the wires.. which then will drip into the tub and cause harm/death.

You can use wood or anything plastic that is long like that to hold it up.. but metal, not a good idea.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #52 
trilobite

+1 to the metal. I was stupid and thought having metal clips above my tanks to hold in a piece of plastic was a great idea. It just rusted, fell apart and stained my tanks with horrible, ugly rust coating that doesn't come off.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #53 
Hadoken Kitty

Ugh. I didn't even think about that. Well at least I haven't used any of it yet. I'll get something else.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #54 
homegrown terror

Our bettas are breeding as I type this... The female is eating a lot of the eggs as they drop. The male isn't picking them up very quickly, and they are scattered on the bottom. I keep shooing her away with a net because I don't know what else to do and I can't just let her devour our spawn. This is our first attempt at breeding and my fiancee is at work for several more hours. (This is homegrown terror's fiancee Crystal writing this.) I am wondering if any of you can help me out and let me know a couple of things.

How long will they actually be breeding for? What is a normal amount of time for it to take for her to release all of her eggs so I can take her out? Since she is eating so many of the eggs I can't leave them alone because I have to keep her away from them! I've been sitting here for about half an hour so far, and there were already a decent amount of eggs around when I noticed they had finally started.

Can someone please help me out ASAP????
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #55 
jibruno

They will breed untill they are done, simple. it depends on how many eggs the femalle has. it could take hours for them to finish, i had one spawn last for 3 hours. when the bettas are stressed or think there is danger it will cause them to eat the eggs, make sure there is no vibration or anything like that going on in the tank. also they might just bee young and not very experienced and it may take a few spawns for them to catch on. sadly some bettas never catch on and just arent fit to be good parents.

i wish you luck, the first spawn i tried, the same thing happened, the second one went better
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #56 
Hadoken Kitty

after speaking with my grandpa, the wire hanger will work fine. The wire is actually coated in vinyl, so it won't rust like you're thinking it will. Huzaah! (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #57 
royal

That's good.to hear! Huzaah!
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #58 
Myates

Homegrown - they will eat their eggs if they aren't fertilized properly.. sometimes they wrap and eggs will drop, but if they aren't aligned just right, then the eggs won't be any good. You may just be seeing them eat the unfertilized eggs.

On a small chance, it could be because it's their first time and unsure what to do, but instinct should of kicked in. If you disrupt them too much, any that they do get fertilized they won't care for as they will feel their nest is threatened. Best to just let them do what they need to do and see what they have at the end. My last spawn there were a lot of eggs all over the ground, but still ended up with a couple hundred fry. They take hours to spawn, it's an off and on process.. so don't know what will come of it until the very end.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #59 
Xaltd1

This is really exciting!!!! I'm going to start my attempts at a spawn Wednesday!
My goal is to create some yellow bettas. I suppose it's rare color for a reason, though.
I have my sorority tank 12" from the potential Dad's tank. He spends a lot of time looking at thos 9 pretty girls!!! Luckily, his mate is looking back! I let them meet for a few hours a week ago. It was his 1st day in his tank (he was in a QT tank before; I've only had him 2 weeks), so I couldn't resist. They both postured and chased; no fighting. I've been feeding both he & the girls live blackworms for dinner for a week-yummy!!!
How long do you leave the pair in the spawning tank if there's no "action"?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #60 
royal

Did you float her, and let him show off and build the nest? :)
royal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta spawning, food, questions, supplies