Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #1 
Pasdio

Question Long Term Maitenance?

I'm currently looking into setting up a 5.5 gallon tank. As this will be my first time keeping such a "large" tank, I was wondering what "deep cleaning" would look like or if it would even be needed?

I plan to have a few plants (probably some java moss, anubias nana and a marimo moss ball) in a mixed substrate of sand and gravel. Possibly a nerite snail or RCS depending on the betta's temperament or if algae control is even an issue. Would simple siphoning over the substrate and the occasional filter rinse/rub down of the glass be good to maintain the tank? Or is a big deep clean needed every once in a while to keep things healthy? And if it is, how often/what things need to be done to tank when a deep clean is concerned?

I'm kind of a novice to the aquarium world so help is much appreciated! C:
Pasdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have a fully cycled 5.5g, so I do weekly 50%+ water changes with a gravel vac in the areas I can get to around the plants, about every month or two I may move the caves to vac under them. When I had an HOB filter, I now have a sponge filter, I would take the sponges out every 2 weeks & swish/squeeze them in the used tank water I had removed. I have 1 Male Betta, 1 Mystery Snail & 1 Nerite Snail . . . so far no algae problems.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #3 
Crowntails

I have a 5.5 gallon tank and I do 50% water changes once a week. Not much maintenance for me.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #4 
Pasdio

That's good news!
I'm really accustomed to having small tanks that needed everything removed and cleaned like every week/2 weeks. I figured that was the maintenance (the stuff you've outlined above) that was needed but I wasn't sure if I should be doing something more like once or month or so.

Thanks for the prompt replies!
Pasdio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.5 gallon, maintenance