Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #11 
cdouglas93

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
I have the marineland hex 5 and it is my favorite tank. The design and gentle flow make it the perfect enviroment IMO for the price, plus I am a firm believer in the bio wheel. Replacement pumps are cheap.
Where can you buy the replacements?
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

If your betta is happier with no surface movement, try a really gentle bubble filter and get him a floating plant for him to nest in. :)

Definitely no other fish in a 5 gal, though!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

A bubble filter? Is that a sponge filter?

First rule of fishkeeping - do not trust the petstore. OK, doing weekly water changes is probably the 1st rule but not trusting pet shop employees is a close 2nd. I learned that one the hard way when some idiot high school kid at petco told me to keep the filter running for 24 hours and come back to buy fish tomorrow because tomorrow my tan would be cycled. The next day he tried to sell me a common pleco because i HAD to have it to eat the poop and debris in the tank (which was either a 2.5 or 5G mini bow). He also told me I never had to change the water because the filter would remove all the nasty stuff from it. He also forgot to tell me i NEEDED to use water conditioner. After killing 5 fish in less then 25 hours ALL with the same symptoms, I decided to search out information elsewhere. At least I was smart enough to not buy the common pleco. I think they were being poisioned by whatever fairbanks had in their tap water..It was nasty to drink, I would hate to have to live in it untreated

Last edited by Tikibirds; 02-27-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #14 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdouglas93 View Post
Where can you buy the replacements?
Ebay
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #15 
Khxvj8

what is a cycled tsnk
Khxvj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A cycled tank uses nitrifying bacteria to detoxify ammonia and other toxins created by the respiration and waste of the tanks inhabitants.

See the cycling stickies at the top of this section for more details.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #17 
PupPetta

can i take my filter out safely?

I have a filter in with my Betts and when I first got it he was pretty sick. So I got him better and then put him in the filtered tank. He's never really been the same since the illness and I've tried changing many things and now the only thing left to try is to take the filter out to see if hell be less stressed. I think it is possible that my tank has cycled within this time so im wondering if it's safe to turn it off? He's in a 2.5 and I was thinking to do water changes every other day.
PupPetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #18 
waterdog

If you turn off the filter you will loose your cycle
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #19 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupPetta View Post
I have a filter in with my Betts and when I first got it he was pretty sick. So I got him better and then put him in the filtered tank. He's never really been the same since the illness and I've tried changing many things and now the only thing left to try is to take the filter out to see if hell be less stressed. I think it is possible that my tank has cycled within this time so im wondering if it's safe to turn it off? He's in a 2.5 and I was thinking to do water changes every other day.
Because of the small volume of water there is probably too much current from the filter which is why he may be stressed out. I wouldn't use a filter in a tank that size, neither of my 2.5g tanks have a filter. I do two 70-80% water changes per week with a 100% about every 2 wks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #20 
waterdog

I use a sponge filter in my 2.5. Works perfect!