Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #1 
Kanra Chan

Huge Chunk Of Tail Fin Missing

This morning, Im looking at my fish Mako, and a huge portion of his tail fin is missing, with some frays left dangling. He had a previous tear there that had almost healed.
Yesterday, I was exercising him with a mirror. I didn't supervise him, but his tail was fine after.

The past few days, he's been stressed (Pale face, stress lines along the body), but no abnormal movement, eye cloudiness, or strange behaviour. He is not stressed while exercising, eating, or during the day. Only first thing in the morning and sometimes at night, for no particular reason. His colouring turns back to normal when he sees me. He exercised, ate, and interacted with me normally and didn't act strange once.

His being stressed only occurred in the morning, and I have been exploring the possibility that he's afraid of the dark (His old tank was located in the living room, where there was always light. His new tank, which he's been in for three months, is located in my room and out of direct sunlight. His overhead light stopped working recently, so I leave a lamp on for him during the day. That is when I noticed his being stressed more often). This incident also was discovered first thing in the morning.

There is no blackness around the edges of his fins, no receding finnage, no burnt gills, no obvious signs of any other sickness. I would say it looks like a bite, except that this would be one massive bite, and in the seven months I've had him, he has never displayed a tail-biting habit before. He is swimming normally.
I have no reason to believe that this is fin rot.
His decorations are silk plants and a plastic colosseum, which has been tested (Run through a nylon stocking), and I have deemed safe. I understand that it is possible that he ripped his tail on the decoration.

I have a low-flow filter and thermostat heater, both are new and were put in the tank two weeks ago to replace the old ones I had. There is no suction for the filter, however I understand that he may have somehow injured himself on them. They have no edges, and the heater is not hot to the touch. Both have been working perfectly fine since put in.

His tank temperature is 26C, water quality is fine, nitrates and nitrites at 0. The water is barely hard though. His tail fin is curling, and I've been told that is caused by hard water, but I have a water softener. It doesn't last long, and seems to evaporate the day after I put it in the water. I'm currently looking into another brand of water softener.

I've prepared a batch of water with aquarium salt and bettafix to put in my quarantine tank. Do you guys think I should use it? And also, does anyone know what this is and what caused it? It's really sudden. I'll try to have pictures up. Thank you!
Kanra Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #2 
Seaman2012

I am definitely no expert..but I own many bettas and one of bettas just recently decided to start tail biting. I never saw him do it..until one night I sat and watched him from afar and noticed him spinning in circles and biting his tail. It doesn't hurt him..I would just keep his water really clean and use Stress Coat +. I don't use AQ salt and I definitely would not use Bettafix. I hear bad things about Bettafix.
Seaman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #3 
Seaman2012

When I noticed my Betta's tail starting to looked frayed, I automatically assumed fin rot. But then I was relieved to find it was just tailbiting. I put betta hammocks and silk plants in all my tanks and they really like the hammocks. Try switiching his plants and decorations around so he isn't so bored. I think tailbiting is something they do when they are bored. I clean my tanks 50% twice a week and a hundred percent once a week.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #4 
Kanra Chan

There are bad things said about MellaFix. BettaFix is different. But I hear you, the less meds the better. Until it gets worse, I will stick with clean water.
Also, do you need a URL to post pictures? Because I have been unable to create an album here since day 1, and my pictures are off my desktop. I have no URL for them, and I don't know how to post them.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #5 
Kanra Chan

Oh yeah, I have a 10 gallon tank and he's in there alone. I was gonna get him 2-4 cory catfish this weekend (Of course, I was gonna take him out, put the catfish in for a bit, monitor the water levels to make sure the tank didn't react too drastically, then add him back in after introducing them to each other. I would only add 1 or 2 catfish at a time to the tank.)
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #6 
Seaman2012

It's funny how they start habits. My betta never bit his tail for six months..until recently. I think it's like nail biting. Just becomes a habit that is hard to break haha. I upload pics from my desktop. I never needed a URL. I think a few catfish would be nice for him. Would give him some company. He might need something to look at :)
Old 03-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #7 
Kanra Chan

How do you upload pictures in a thread like this? o.o
And yeah, I'm hoping the catfish will give him some company. My brother's betta passed, and they used to exercise with each other. I think he's lonely.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #8 
VJM

Is it possible that when the light is off he is seeing a reflection on the tank wall and flaring at it nonstop? Seems like that would be enough to tear new fin growth.

I hear bad things about all meds that end in -fix. It denotes tea tree oil as an ingredient, which will interfere with the labyrinth organ.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #9 
Seaman2012

Go to "Go Advanced" right next to Post Quick Reply. There should be a little safety pin where you can click and it says Attachments. Upload your pic when the little screen pops up.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #10 
Kanra Chan

Picture 1: Mako yesterday morning, stressed out.
Picture 2: Mako today
Picture 3: Close-up of tail fin
Attached Images