Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #1 
lynnnamber

Unhappy Worried about my betta fish

My mom surprised my sister and I by taking us to the pet store and letting us get a fish. She just "set" us up with the necessities that we needed and told us to save money for anything else we wanted. We both each got a .5 gallon tank, gravel, and my sister got an ornament, i didnít because I didnít want to stress my mom out with us buying a whole bunch of stuff, and we got water conditioner and food for the betta fish. So any ways my fish (Jax) is always moving and he loves playing with the mirror and with my finger. My sisters (Blair) however does not like to play and is not as active as Jax. And Iíve noticed that Blairís water is a little foggy too. And as for bubble nest Blair has made several tiny bubble nest as for Jax none. I will not have enough money for a bigger tank until next month sometime. Any suggestions on how to keep them happy and can I make any ornaments with stuff I got at home. If so please tell me. Thanks :)
lynnnamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Congrats on the fish. Unfortunately, a .5 bowl is not adequate to keep a Betta or any fish in. You both need to do daily water changes with temp matched & conditioned water. You both also need to get a heater for each of your fish, the water temp should be 78-80F. As for using something around your house as a decoration . . . coffee cups or small glasses work great just be sure to wash in HOT HOT HOT water to make sure there's nothing on it, lay it on its side in the tank. Good luck with your fish.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #3 
waterdog

First, congrats on your new buddy!

Second, in such a small amount of water you need to do 100% water changes about every other day. I would take out any ornaments as the fish needs every bit of water possible in such a small tank.

Next, you need (as best you can) to make sure they are staying warm. You don't want them getting cold at night and hot during the day. Even temps are best. Can mom spring for a thermometer? You can get them for less than $3 most places.

What brand of food did you get? How much are you feeding? Cloudy water could be she is overfeeding hers.

We will help you till you get a little bigger tank.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #4 
lynnnamber

I live in florida so for the last couple of months its been getting hotter so we have been turning of the air and opening the windows. Ive also been putting a office light on one side of the tank towards the bottom layer. I dont know if thats making a difference but my fish seems to like it.. my sisters however flares at it lol. I think we have a space heater will that keep them warm? Im trying to talk my mom into buying a thermometer.. the only thing is that the nearest walmart or pet store is 20 to 30 minutes away. im feeding them once daily with the tetra bettamin tropical medly and only a little tine pinch.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #5 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnnamber View Post
im feeding them once daily with the tetra bettamin tropical medly and only a little tine pinch.
Soon as you can, I would try to get either Omega-One or New Life Spectrum betta pellets. They are much better for your fish.

Don't try to use a space heater. I see problems with that.

Make sure the tanks are not in a direct line with the A/C vents. Put them in a corner away from windows and drafts.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #6 
lynnnamber

Okay will do.. Thanks :)