Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #1 
HopeNicholson

Bought as a female, not sure of type or even it's gender

So yesterday I stumbled inside of a local pet shop I found while my family was at our vacation home. They had a handful of bettas and of course I looked at the females for my sorority tank and bought the biggest girl they had (they were all quite large!). I currently have her in her own temporary tank until she's use to things and also cause I feel like she might be a male. I've only ever owned crowntail and veiltails females so when it comes to these larger Plakat looking ones I can't tell the difference between male and females. I haven't been able to see an egg spot so far and just wanted to know if anyone has the same doubt I do. Regardless of gender I'll be keeping it, just wish it wasn't so hard to figure out! Lol
Attached Images

HopeNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #2 
HopeNicholson

She seems to be about 2 inches or so
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #3 
LinkLover

Did you get the Betta from Petco? Because going by the pictures it looks like you have a King Betta (which means it's a male half giant).
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #4 
HopeNicholson

I actually got it from a non-retail pet store, more locally owned place. And yea I thought the same thing after I bought it that it looks an awful lot like a king betta. Not that mind if it is, I just want to figure out what gender it is so I can figure out if I need a permanent separate tank for it or if I can get it put in the sorority tank. Ah well, guess I'll see soon enough!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #5 
Skyewillow

I agree with LinkLover. Definitely looks like a King to me.

I find males and females are easy to pick out from body shape, even when fins are damaged or not fully grown in.

Females are curvy, the underside is pretty curvy after the ovipositor.

Males gently slope from the ventrals up to the tail, they're also pretty thick and manly. lol ^_~ He fits this description from what I can see.

He's GORGEOUS!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #6 
LinkLover

Huh, I thought only Petco sold those! Anyway, you have a lovely King, who will of course need his own home. My fiance has a King, and he is SO much fun to watch (and is quite the jumper)! I hope you enjoy your new friend. :)
Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #7 
MiyuMikaelson

I would agree that it's probably a male King. He's a very handsome fish.
:)
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #8 
Skyewillow

OMG, Kings and jumping... don't put a catbox near the tank... bad story there... >_>
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #9 
HopeNicholson

Yea I check its tummy again and not an egg spot in sight. And based on everyone's reply it looks like I most likely have a King in my possession. Is anyone able to tell if he's a regular king or HM King though?

Also I was trying to get it to flare at its reflection and it would stare and stretch its fins out, but not flare. It flared at me when I first got it yesterday tho, which is actually when I began my doubts about it being a girl lol

Looks like I'll be shopping for a tank this weekend then! Lol gonna still keep an eye on it, as much as everyone says about it being a King I still have this lingering feeling it might be a female. Insanely doubtful, but I just can't help but be 100% sure
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #10 
LinkLover

To me he just looks like a regular King. I personally have never seen a Halfmoon King, but that's just me. Just a suggestion on the new tank, since Kings are bigger than normal sized Bettas they do better in larger tanks. I think five gallons is a good minimum size for them, but again that's just my opinion. :)