Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #1 
iJessie

Unhappy Bubble nest :/

So I got both males and both females ready , I set up the breeding tanks and everything. Put the female in site. Both males will only blow a few bubbles , but in a different spot everytime then swim away like they are bored..
Any tips?
Or how to encourage them :(?
iJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #2 
Myates

How did you condition the pair? How you condition them can greatly influence how ready/receptive they are.

Are you using anything for a nest anchor?

How is the tank set up? Size? Filter? etc..

Are the females ready to burst with eggs?

How long were the males in the tank prior to the females?

If the female isn't ready/interested the males will pick up on that and not always be interested back. Can give them some more time before releasing her (make sure she is full of eggs (not just food), and is being submissive).. or remove them and keep them separated (in their own tanks) from all over fish for a few days to reset them and then try once more.

Also keep in mind, some males won't build big nests.. some will make small ones, or none at all until they are in the process of actual breeding. So you may have to rely on the other signals to know when they are ready.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #3 
iJessie

I feed them both a mix or blood worm and a flake food with fridge dried brine shrimp in it . The tank is a 5 gallon about half way full.
Plants for the female. I have a lid top it's round with a little hole in the middle , for the nest , he will blow like 5 bubbles then swim off ... But they are never in the same place ?
The male was in their alone for about 2 days.
The female is bloated like crazy with eggs and has the vertical strips I've seen her put her head down & be submissive to him.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #4 
iJessie

There's also a heater & slow bubbling sponge filter not bubbling to the point it like shakes the surface
Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #5 
iJessie

His nest since I opened this thread
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #6 
rubinthebetta

If one of your males had/has a bubblenest going in another tank, try scooping part or all of it into the breeding tank. I've heard a few people recommend it and say that the male in the breeding tank will build onto the nest and voila!
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #7 
KwLDeL

Sorry new to posting dont know how to delete post. But please read my post #10
Thank you

Last edited by KwLDeL; 02-24-2013 at 03:59 PM.
KwLDeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #8 
iJessie

:c he seems to know how to do it just not all in one spot. I added half a cup to maybe encourage him to build it there ?
My other males sick with fin rot right now :(
Old 02-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #9 
iJessie

Most people put the leafs or whatever they are using against a tank wall.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #10 
KwLDeL

Question Want to make sure that Im doing all I can for Masuka's happiness

Hello y'all. Real fast just want to say thanks to everyone I been getting get advice and really appreciate eveyones time...ok now my question My betta Masuka has started making bubble nest I just want to make sure I'm understanding so this means he is trying to attract females and is perfectly normal some may even say that it is signs of a happy and content betta, is this correct? Also I recently added a leaf (hammock) for him and want to know where it sould be ideally e.g. At the top of the water or lower should it be in corner with other plants or a separate corner giving him more options? One last thing I'm reading to let him fast once a week, is this a good idea and I feel bad on days I bother him by cleaning his tank what could I give him as a treat? Oh sorry last last thing I ordered a fungus ball good or no? Again love the all the help and support for y'all and Masuka thanks you also
KwLDeL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, bubble nest, wont build a bubble nest