Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #1 
Green4011

Question tattered fins v.s. pale coloring?

I got a Veil Tail betta about a little over a month ago in a one gallon Aqueon Mini Bow. (I'm working on getting something at least 2.5G, but for now...) I have a mini heater as well.

After two weeks or so, I noticed his fins were getting a bit tattered, and then one day it just looked extra extra tattered and after reading up on here, it looked like I should take out the filter and be super diligent with water changes. So I did that for about 2 weeks, but realized that the water wasn't getting heated up. Because there was no circulation, my crappy little heater was only heating the little bit of water around it. But Fredrick (my fish) wasn't ever hovering near it or anything and was eating and swimming around mostly (less erratically too). The water was between 60-70. His fins were looking like they were healing a bit too. But about two days ago when I tried to feed him he didn't come around all excited and didn't even try to eat the food! And I noticed he was significantly paler and I thought I could almost see stress stripes.

I remembered then that I had read somewhere that sometimes bettas like the filter water flows, but will end up with tattered fins. As long as the water is kept clean to prevent infection, it is okay. So I put the filter back in (with a new cartridge) and the water is back to 75-85 and his color is all back... BUT his fins are super tattered already and his anal fin has split in half like two fins, one of his ventral fins has has a white tip now. (I am still looking for my cord to get pics from my camera to my computer)

Anyway, do you guys think the tattered fins are okay in this situation? His color is beautiful and he eats and gets very excited for food time. He'll flare if I put the mirror up, but I avoid doing that because I feel like it's bad for his tattered fins. He made a bubble nest when I had the filter in, before I had tested seeing what it was like with the filter out. I just want to know what's best for him until I can get him a larger home... Without the filter, it looked like his tails were slowly healing, but the water was so cold and he got pale and didn't eat... With the filter, I think he seems fine (he's also my first betta), but his tail gets super tattered.
Green4011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #2 
ARNOLDluvsYOU

i think it may be that you bought an older fish. or you may have sharp objects or too many decorations in your aquarium that your fish is running in to.
ARNOLDluvsYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #3 
Green4011

I got some pictures finally! And have also discovered that Fredrick is afraid of the camera.. =X

Here you can see the split in his anal fin and some tattered-ness

Some more tattered-ness

Here you can see the white tips on his ventral fins.

What do you guys think? He's pretty active and curious. Flared at the camera a bit at first, but is now calmly floating about. He never seems lethargic to me (except when the filter was out and the water was cold), but I can't tell if he's swimming erratically in a non-normal way or not.

Omg. sorry for the giant images. I didn't know they were going to come out so ginormous... =X
Old 02-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #4 
VJM

I hear that pineapple decoration is toxic, so you should definitely start by taking that out.

Also, he is beautiful, even with some tattering.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #5 
MiyuMikaelson

Are the ends of his fins usually that dark; or could it be finrot?
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #6 
KevinPham123

It looks more like fin rot, I do recommend you try and get a new heater if possible. It will help with the healing and will aid in keeping his immune system working better.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #7 
Green4011

Thanks VJM, I love his colors which is part of why I picked him.

I can't remember if the tips were always dark... I was afraid it was fin rot and was trying to keep the water super clean.

Also the heater works fine if the filter is in. It keeps the tank at about 82-84. It just doesn't heat the tank if the water isn't circulating which kinda makes sense when I think about it now, otherwise it would have to be super hot to heat up still water... Are there safe heaters that can heat up still water? Should I go for that and take out the filter?

I saw somewhere else on this site that sometimes betas bite their tails or make shorter fins to better deal with the current of a filtered environment. What is your rake on that?