Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #1 
ARNOLDluvsYOU

Question is my aquarium to full/small?

my current tank for my betta isnt verry large and i just added some decorations and a thermomitor. is it to crowded?
Attached Images

ARNOLDluvsYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #2 
blu the betta

is it a 1 gal. its too crowded.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #3 
MistersMom

It itself is too small. it looks like any ways. how many gallons is it?
do you have a heater?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #4 
colorxmexravyne

If this is the tank that you have, then yes it is too small. At only 0.5 gallons, it's not really an *ideal* home for your betta.
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #5 
paris38

Ya you should probably get a larger tank bettas should really be in at least 1.5 gallons and need a heater.I like your betta though.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #6 
ARNOLDluvsYOU

its eather .5 gallons or 1.5 gallon and no it doesnt hav a heater
Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #7 
ARNOLDluvsYOU

thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

it's a half gallon marina plastic tank.
it is very small!
I would recommend getting rid of that statue...your betta looks so sad and cold :(
a heater will be very nice, and help him live a nice long life.
When you get a chance, do get him a much larger tank. I highly recommend a 2.5gallon+ tank. 1 gallon should be the absolute minimum.

For heaters a 25w adjustable heater is what you will need for 5gallons and under.

get a thermometer too so you know how warm it is in there, bettas are happier in the 76-82F range
a little more or a little less wont hurt, but make sure it's not too cold or too hot!

In the current tank he will need all of his water changed everyday. otherwise his own waste will kill him :)

when you change the water, make sure it's the same temperture as his old water.

make sure you clean out alll his poop and any uneaten food right away.

It will be a lot easier on you (and Him!) when you get a larger tank ;)

happy fish keeping and welcome to bettafish.com
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

Although I do like the look of those marina tanks - they are only .5 gallons and that is too small for a betta to be happy and healthy in (depite what petshops want you to beleive. It like us living out whole live in something the size of a bathroom - yeah we COULD but we would not be happy abut it).

Besides it being too small, the bigger issues are
1) can't really be heated as almost all models are too tall to fit in there
2) ammonia will build up and the ONLY way to remove it is with daily water changes.

If/when you can - it is best to upgrade him to something bigger with a heater. It dosen't have to be an expensive setup. Some of my "tanks" are sterelite storage bins that I got at walmart for under $5 it's not the most attractive setup from a human point of view but my fish don't seem to care. Petco and petsmart have those kritter keepers - the largest size is about 2.5-3 gallons and those work well and are about $10.

Or this one is actually a really good deal for a 5 gallon setup - normally I see 5G kits going for at least $50. This one is $30
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...ndingMethod=rr

There is also a 1 gallon kit. I have this one and its not bad - but I wouldnt use the "filter" as it takes up too much space (a 1 gallon is still pretty small but much better then a .5 gallon). Plus most bettas wont care for the bubbles and you still need to do the 2X weekly water changes anyways.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/10312983?w...l5=pla&veh=sem

As for heaters, I would NOT get the tetra ones - they don't work too good.
I got all mine off ebay or amazon.com - much cheaper

and my last word of advice - Never trust what any petshop employee tells you! I ended up illing my 1st FIVE bettas because a petco employee told me "if I have a filter, i never need to change the water". Needless to say the ammonia built up and the fish died from ammonia poisioning

I know you didnt come here looking for criticizm of the tank and that is not what I am trying to do. I'm just pointing out what you can do to improve the fishie's quality of life, if you choose to do so. It seems the majority of people on this site came here not knowing how to properly care for their fishie and assumed they liked to live in small, dirty water or they can live off the roots of lilly plants, or beleive the petshop lies. Like I said, I killed 5 before I decided to fins out why they were dying

Edit to add
Be sure to always use water conditioner when changing water :) and if you upgrade, he will apperciate a little cave or castle to hide in and maybe a silk plant too

Last edited by Tikibirds; 02-26-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #10 
callistra

I already answered everything you need here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=129998
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote