Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #1 
Ted

Feeding my Betta

Hello all and happy Tuesday! :)

I have a question about feeding. I looked at the Betta Fish Care sticky and also did a search and came up empty.

I have New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets because I read on here they're very good.

However, it doesn't say how much to feed. I think I read to feed as much as my little guy will eat within 10 minutes. But is there any ballpark figure?

This morning I woke up and was alarmed to see my new Betta on the bottom of the tank! I'm not sure if they sleep there or if it was something more serious. After a while with the light on, however, he started swimming, much to my relief. :)

I put in some pellets which floated a while but he didn't seem to notice them and they eventually sank to the gravel. Will he eventually find them? Or do they only eat them if they're floating to simulate "life prey"?

I'm worried I may have overfed him! :( In all I probably put in 15 pellets. But they're rather small, but still... I'm hoping I didn't overfeed him.

He hadn't eat at least since when I purchased him on Sunday.

Thanks for any guidance.
Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Fifteen pellets is way to many at once. Ots normal for Jim to not eat if he was just brought home.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #3 
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Fifteen pellets is way to many at once. Ots normal for Jim to not eat if he was just brought home.
Thanks for answering, Matt. :)

Darn..hopefully I didn't cause too much harm.

If I don't feed him tomorrow, will he look at the bottom if he's hungry? Or do they only prefer floating food?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #4 
Sivan

You should clean the sunken pellets out because they will begin to release ammonia, which is deadly. Sometimes new fish will not eat up to a week. As for the amount of NLS pellets, 4 in the morning and 4 at night is a fine amount. Make sure to drop them close to the water and that your fish sees them.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

If he's new you may need to get his attention to the top of the water by tapping it with your finger. Yes, 15 pellets is WAY too much, their tummies are about the size of their eye so very small. I feed mine 6-8 pellets per day, depending also on Betta size. With a new Betta they're usually pretty small & probably not used to the good food so I feed 1-2 pellets twice a day for a few days, then increase one feeding by a pellet or two, after a couple of weeks I switch to the once per day feeding. I get his or her attention to the top of the water, I will drop 1-2 pellets, make sure the pellets are eaten then drop 1-2 more, if any sink I don't typically worry about it as I've seen my Bettas searching the substrate for food; they will also catch them as they sink. I tend to feed them in the same corner of the tank each time, they've learned to follow my hand. You can break the feedings into 2-3 feedings through the day or feed once per day. It is also suggested to fast a Betta at least one day each week. Yes, they do sleep on the substrate sometimes, sometimes they'll get into a hiding spot for sleeping.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #6 
blu the betta

looks like your questions are answered.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #7 
Ted

Darn, first day and I'm already messing up. :(

What's the best way to clean the pellets? I do have a gravel vacuum, but will it pick up just the pellets and not the gravel? Or will that cause even more stress for him?

I guess I should have checked here before feeding him.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #8 
Tabbie82

You're doing fine, Ted. You are still learning how to care for the little guy! We all made mistakes when we started and some of us still do. *points at self* The gravel vacuum, if it is like mine, may pick up some gravel in the tube, but will release it as soon as the siphon is stopped. It should just get the pellets. It would probably be less stressful for him if you reach in and pick up the food by hand. Hope that helps!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

OH, we've all been a newbie so no worries. As Tabbie stated the vac will pull gravel (depending on how big the gravel is) into the tube but in my experience the gravel is enough that it will fall back out without have to pull the tube out of the water.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #10 
Ted

Thank you, Tabbie and Shellie, for your reassuring words. :)

Maybe when I get home today I'll try the vac. The pellets are INCREDIBLY tiny, so I think picking them up with my big hands may be even more difficult (stressful).

I won't feed him tomorrow in the event that I miss any pellets and he finds them. :)

I don't mind learning but I guess I don't want him to get sick or die due to the deadly ammonia these leave off! :(