Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #11 
emirarider

Hello,
I'm new to owning my beautiful betta Serge' and originally i had put him in a 2.5 gallon bowl with a plant sticking out of the top and the roots in his bowl with glass marbles at the bottom....the house we (my room mate and I) live in is pretty chilly but we dont mind as we trudge around in our pj's anyway...I notice Serge' wasnt very active and VERY shy and thought about his water being to cold...I've been reading this site and really enjoy it so i thought I'd join :) since reading this site ive bought a 5.5 gallon tank a heater that its now at 72 degrees an adjustable filter, water lettuce, moss and another plant that is easy to take care of for first timers...Serge is happy and now VERY active...or so it seems....since ive had him...now almost a week and a half...i still have not seen him eat...i stayed home from work sick yesterday and saw him stalking the substrait for food....so ive tried getting his attention on top and feeding him a few pellets or even dried blood worms but little Serge' won't eat...what do i do?
emirarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #12 
Tabbie82

@emirarider- Great job on moving Serge' to a bigger tank and adding a heater! I'm sure he will be very happy. One thing, his temperature may still be a little cold. Bettas like 76-86 degree water. I would bump his temperature up if he has an adjustable heater. As far as him not eating, it could be that he is still adjusting to his new home. Do you have any air stones that are producing bubbles, or a filter that may have a current? When I first brought Maui home, he had an under gravel filter that produced bubbles. I couldn't figure out why he refused to eat. I was very worried when a week went by and he still hadn't eaten. The second I turned that filter off, he ate like a pig. He was too scared of the current/bubbles to come up and eat. I don't know if that is the case here, but that's my suggestion. If you have anything causing water movement, try turning it off when you go to feed Serge'. Hope this helps.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #13 
Ted

Well, this morning I tried tapping the water as suggested and he showed no interest. :(

He was moving around and looking at the surface, so I just dropped ONE tiny pellet and it floated there...but he didn't take it.

He seems to be hiding a lot so maybe he's just getting used to the tank... I guess I'm just worried that he'll starve to death. :(
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #14 
blu the betta

once he gets hungry enough he will eat. what type of pellets do you feed him?
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #15 
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu the betta View Post
once he gets hungry enough he will eat. what type of pellets do you feed him?
Hi Blu,

Currently, he's on New Life Spectrum? Or Natural Life Spectrum? I can't recall the correct name...but it's the NLS that many speak of. :)
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote