Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #21 
leahleigh

Also, for journal logging. AS OF WEDNESDAY 3/6/13.

2 bettas; Ice-blue HMEE (halfmoon elephant ear) Dimitri, metallic-white HMPK (halfmoon plakat) Garth.
1 Apple Snail; possibly three nerites, hitchikers and all that.

Anubias x2, Java Moss, Pennywort, Anacharis, Banana Plant, Drift Wood, Microsword, Surprise Moss from friend (Java Moss x Peacock Moss x subwassertang x MAYBE a little marimo mixed in).

1.5 Gallon (maybe 2.5, need to check), and 6.6.
2x heaters, 2x bubblers, 1 filter.
Eco-complete in both.
leahleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #22 
LittleWatty

Mine survived plenty long without fertilizers, so as long as you've got a plant light, you should be ok ;) It just might like it more with some extra nutrients!
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #23 
leahleigh

EDIT: Made picture smaller. :P

My trip to walmart had to come early, a lot of things happened today. Got in a car accident (before you freak out, everyone is okay) on the way back and i'm just really stressed. I planned to prolong the dividing for awhile just to make sure Garth was going to be okay, but I rushed it and am prepared for the worst, have all my medicines stocked up too.

The only thing I was worried about is how aggressive Dimitri is, and being unsure of Garth's personality, I didn't want to push them both into it. Lucky for me I pegged Garth right, curious but uncaring. Dimitri is running the divider for a bit but goes to check out the rest of his lil' home. He's adjusting fine, in fact they both are. I'm really pleased with how the sides look.

Have to get my moss still, but i'm excited for it. The only thing i'm going to splurge on next is some calcium tablets for the snail and a new light. Which will probably be next friday when I get paid.

But here it is, woo!

Last edited by leahleigh; 03-08-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #24 
leahleigh

Sorry for the post stretch, didn't realize it was that big. But at least you get to see everything in detail now. Sorry for the foggy water, dust was still settling after two hours. Should be fine in the morning. Also had to do a small edit to the divider because Dimitri was testing it too much and I had cut it a smidge short.

That poor Java Fern is still holding on, for whatever reason. xD
Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #25 
Crowntails

Love the look of the tank! I'm looking forward to more pics.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #26 
Kwomais

Lookin' good Leah! Also, glad to hear you're all ok. Car accidents suck, a LOT. I know, I've been in a few :(

If you think that the boys are stressing out too much by the divider, you can always add some stem plants in front of it on either side to break up the line of sight a bit.
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #27 
leahleigh

Aw, thanks Crowntails! :) Makes me feel good.
Thanks to you too, Kwomais. Thanks again, about the car accident. It was scary but yeah, just shaken up is all.

Garth is really chill, he's not very aggressive and instead seems to enjoy exploring his side more. Dimitri kind of hounds the divider but not really bad, the only thing concerning me is him possibly biting his tail, although i'm not sure why he would do it/haven't caught him acting like that's what he's doing.

Also, my little moss package got here today! I'm soooo happy with it. She threw in some little marimo moss parts, which I rolled into a ball (see right of garths side, left of dimitris), and even frogbit! I nearly screamed I was so happy. I just hope it survives long enough to reproduce and give me some more.

Does Dimitri's tail look ripped (idk on what) or bitten (idk why), and if so how should I treat it/him?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #28 
leahleigh

Also, also, (lol!) Garth seems to be marbling already! Holy cow I wasn't expecting him to actually marble, if anything. His eyes have darkened a lot and he's starting to get little black specks on his stomach and his tail is turning greyish black. Excited to see how he's going to change. I would just DIE of happiness if he turned out white and black.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #29 
LittleWatty

You can just see the colors on his tail (I think) and he's gorgeous! I would be jealous if he was white and black. Heck, I'm jealous already! haha. Tank is looking fantastic!
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #30 
leahleigh

Ah, I have been duped once again! Petco selling non-aquatic plants and then charging me extra. Damn them. If it wasn't already in my tank and I hadn't thrown away the package i'd take it back. Stupid. I was really excited because I wanted more cover for Garth's side but I didn't want another Anubias. I should have done my research but oh well, impulse buy and whatnot.

This is what I got, and upon further investigation it is not fully aquatic, but I don't want to waste my money. Does anyone know how to plant these to make them survive?

Tank update! Woo. Java Fern is doing MUCH, MUCH better, got a 6500k watt for my light bulb so things seem to look a bit cleaner. Anyone know what times I should keep my light on and off? I just had a bloom of brown algae and scraped most of it off.

I really wanted to switch the pennywort into the back corner but for some reason it wont stay there. So I put the nonaquatic Umbrella Plant back there and moved the pennywort to the front. Le sigh.~

Anyway, this has been an update.

Tags
6.6, 6.6 gallon, planted