Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #1 
ChibiShishou

Talking To Rescue or Not To Rescue

That is the question!
I lost my first betta Ichiru a few days ago, so now his buddy Senri will be all alone in a big 10 gallon tank.
TODAY however I found an adorable little betta at a pet store but he had fin rot(Or at least it looks very much like fin-rot his fins are down pretty bad on his ventrical). And he was looking at me with those eyes and they just screamed 'take me home' and then there was another betta there that looked almost akin to one of the big eared bettas!o_0

So I need some casual opinions: Should I buy(or talk the manager into a rescue) the sick little guy and get him all fixed up
Should I buy the big eared guy
OR should I just buy one of them? Or neither of them?
I could keep one here at home and then two at my ten gallon in school.

But Im conflicted, it seems too soon after Ichiru's death to buy another fish, and I was sort of looking forward to just having Senri in the ten gallon, spoil him a bit and all.

But that little guy with fin rot is still hauntingly swimming in my mind. When I was looking at him he even spread his tail a couple times as if to say 'lookit me!' and goodness.....
SO!!Who wants to give me some advice!? XDD
ChibiShishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #2 
ZubinBetta

I am amazed you could walk away when you did. They know, as do we, when they have made a connection with "those eyes" and the shake of a tail. I'm not sure this counts as advice, but in your shoes I think I'd return to that pet store forthwith and gather up the two gents that had so impressed me.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #3 
Skyewillow

We adopted Ginger less than a week after Jade was put to sleep. I couldn't leave an empty spot open when I knew I could save another fish. I felt a little guilty, but I would rather feel guilty for having Ginger, than feel guilty for leaving her there in that freezing cold and filthy cup.

I agree with Zubin, I'd bring them both home ^_~
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #4 
ChibiShishou

Its set then! IM GETTING ME A FISHIE!!!
I don't know if Ill get the big eared one. I only have two tanks with me here at home, my divider is at school, I do have a small critter carrier but I use that exclusively for water changes.
Thank you everybody!!
I'm probably going to go out and gather up the finrot fishie tonight so he can get warm and cuddly right away!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #5 
MoonShadow

I don't know how you walked away! If it were me I would bring them both home! If you definitely only have space for one, I would personally help the sick one he'll have a much harder time finding a home then the pretty EE will
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #6 
ChibiShishou

I hope he will still be there tomorrow...I dont know if Ill be able to go tonight >o<;;; Why didn't I listen to my instincts!?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

I too am quite impressed you walked away! (Casually glances over at two divided 10g tanks and a temporary 5g goldfish tank that she was never supposed to have) I have found "the one" only four times before with my fishies- first was my Pigg, who I found early last June. I went home and told my mother I was getting a fish- I would use the small 1g that came with the frogs before I got the 5g (the 5g was gone and now back). The other time was with my boy Atlas, I said basically the same thing. Third was with Themis, when I was actually looking for new tankmates. And lastly was Hannibal, my Goldfish, who is being rehomed to a big tank with two new friends this weekend! The only one I wasn't sure about was my little Artemis- I was basically looking for an extra spot to fill and she seemed the smallest and least likely to survive.

Sorry about my droning. I have that issue (politician's daughter). So basically, get him and love him and have a great time!!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #8 
ChibiShishou

Talking

I know, I was worried my connection with him was because he looks sick, you see from a very young age apparently I would buy broken toys and make my parents by me broken statues because I didn't want them to go un-loved. So my mom was teasing me that I was bringing home another broken addition to the household.
FORTUNATELY! I have a fishie. He is pretty adorable, I'll be posting pictures later as I'm a little concerned with his bottom fins, they look kinda fin-rotty.
But right now he's chilling in his cup next to my new moss ball <3 <3
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

My personal opinion in that case would be to get the sick fish only if the manager would give him to me for free or an extremely reduced price, and only to buy the healthy one if the conditions were satisfactory.

Good luck with your new fish.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #10 
percyfyshshelley

I like how you came on *this* forum asking if you should get another fish. Lol. I am currently babying two rescues that were both lying at the bottom of their dirty cups, then they saw me, did the wiggle, and then... The. Eyes... Sigh. Glad you got him and it sounds like you will give him a great life. I hope he makes it!
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote