Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #1 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Driving me crazy. 75 or 150 please help

I currently own 3 fish tanks, 1 is a 125 gallon that i keep at home and 2 55 gallon tanks that i keep at my shop.
Well long story short, my brother is going to take one of the 55 to his home and i am gonna buy a new one and i have 2 options:
buy a 75 gallon from a friend for $80 with a bunch of accessories but no stand or buy a 150 gallon with a small leak and a broken top rim with metal stand for $100 no accessories.
I am confident i can repair the leak on the 150 and probably replace the top rim or make one out of wood since i am Carpenter it should be fairly easy and just staying with this tank at my shop and get rid of the remaining 55.

Please help me decide.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #2 
sarahspins

150 leaking with a broken rim doesn't sound very safe - I don't know that a DIY rim is necessarily going to stop a catastrophic failure in the future.

I'd go with the 75. A 75 or 90 is currently in my wish list :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #3 
Bounce

I'm voting for the 150. Leaks can be fixed, you can buy replacement rims and since you're confident you can fix it up, I say go for it. Bigger is always better.

Now that I've had my 75 gallon for over a year, it seems small and I'm wanting to upgrade to something larger.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #4 
registereduser

$100 seems like a lot for a broken tank, even if it does come with a stand. How much would the stand be without the tank? If the tank fails at least it won't damage your home.

More important, what will you put in it?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #5 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

If i get the 150 i am probably going to move my 20 female bettas there and drive the number up to 50. I will also get 25 panda cories, some neom tetras and some platies.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #6 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
I'm voting for the 150. Leaks can be fixed, you can buy replacement rims and since you're confident you can fix it up, I say go for it. Bigger is always better.

Now that I've had my 75 gallon for over a year, it seems small and I'm wanting to upgrade to something larger.
My 55 gallon tanks started to look small also, that is why i got a 125 for my house.