Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #11 
Hadoken Kitty

This should help you. This girl has four rays.

Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #12 
wah543

I can't really it looks like it forks and folds over eachother, but I just held a mirror to her to see if she would flare and her tail curved out to like a capital D is it possible to have like a high spreading veiltail or delta
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #13 
Hadoken Kitty

In females, a majority of their tails look similar, so when looking at a female it's a lot easier to just count the rays to try and differentiate what tail type she is/genes she carries.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #14 
MoonShadow

A bettas ray count is based on the highest number of rays present. While she does have only 2 rays in places, she clearly displays 4 rays in at least 1 place and therefore would be considered a 4 ray. And since veiltails never display more then 2 rays she would be considered a single tail or delta, not a veiltail
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #15 
wah543

Thanks for the clarification, now I'm always going to be looking at these rays, but at she's better than nothing, I was expecting a veiltail with nice colors ended up with something more
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #16 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
And MoonShadow is wrong, she clearly has two rays. Believe me, I own a four ray female and it is way more obvious. She may be a PK, which would have two rays as well.
Rays don't have to be in your face obvious to be there. She clearly has more then 2 rays in spots, its easy to see if you look for it. And she is definitely not a plakat her anal and caudal are too long and her anal is not the right shape for a plakat
Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #17 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Oh yea she is not a PK. But... She is a veiltail. She has two rays. MoonShadow, have you ever owned a four ray female?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #18 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Oh yea she is not a PK. But... She is a veiltail. She has two rays. MoonShadow, have you ever owned a four ray female?
I have owned 4, 8, 10, 12, and 16 rayed females. This female has obvious branching beyond the 2 rays, its not clear and defined but it is there.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #19 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

First of all, there is no visible 4 ray branching. Second of all, you are compleatly ignoring the fact that petsmart does not sell delta or halfmoon females.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #20 
MoonShadow

Quote:
First of all, there is no visible 4 ray branching. Second of all, you are compleatly ignoring the fact that petsmart does not sell delta or halfmoon females.
I see the branching, it's small and not clearly defined but it is there, she very obviously has more then 2 rays in more then one spot. And mix ups can happen when the fish are packaged and sent to the store. I have gotten a couple delta females and a doubletail female at petsmart. Not to mention a halfmoon plakat labled as a girl (before they started selling plakats) and a 2 halfmoons labled as veiltails (before they ever began selling halfmoons)