Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #21 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Petsmart, not petco. Why would a breeder who can sell hms for 15 dollars give one to a chain store for less then a dollar?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #22 
MoonShadow

MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #23 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Petsmart, not petco. Why would a breeder who can sell hms for 15 dollars give one to a chain store for less then a dollar?
Yes petsmart I know, that is the store I am referring to. The fish that go to these store come from places that are equivalent to puppy mills, the fish are massed produced and shipped in huge quantities, they don't look carefully at everything fish bagged up, they are not like the breeders who sell their fish for $25 on aquabid. Just because a betta is a halfmoon doesn't mean its worth $15, its the quality of the fish not the tail type that determines its worth.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #24 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That's true, but its not like they just throw all the spawns together and fish one out when they need to sell it. They will always be kept separated because the breeders first priority is money.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #25 
MoonShadow

Yes but these fish mills don't breed purebred lines either, they will breed what ever fish are ready together. Thats why we see so many combtails etc. This female could very well be the result of a VTxHM cross, but she is not pure VT. The breeders first priority is money you're right and that means they need to breed and ship as many fish as possible as fast as possible, they do not go through and evaluate each fish, they roughly estimate the tail type and label as such, and sometimes mistakes are made! I have purchased from petco 2 elephant ear bettas (which sell for $20) that were labled as deltas (which sell for $7) mistakes happen.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #26 
DoctorWhoLuver

They handle so much fish, how can you guarantee they won't let one slip out?
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #27 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
They handle so much fish, how can you guarantee they won't let one slip out?
Exactly, and it happens more often then you might think!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #28 
aemaki09

Honestly, to me, it looks like a young male HM or det with as long as those fins are, but I haven't looked very hard at anything besides finnage.

Matt, you need to calm down. Bettas get mislabeled all the time. Petsmart and petco may not sell them, but this clearly is NOT a VT or CT. You should know that. Even without ray count being factored in the OP is stating that this "girl" makes a perfect HM spread. How in any world could that be considered vt?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #29 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Honestly, to me, it looks like a male HM.

Matt, you need to calm down. Bettas get mislabeled all the time. Petsmart and petco may not sell them, but this clearly is NOT a VT or CT. You should know that. Even without ray count being factored in the OP is stating that this "girl" makes a perfect HM spread. How in any world could that be considered vt?
Hmmmm now that you mention it, I do see where you're getting possible male from. Especially the fact that the fish has some odd numbers of ray branching (and I believe ray branching always evens out as the fish grows right?) makes me believe that this fish still has growing left to do!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #30 
wah543

Wait so she could actually be just a little he?
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote