Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #1 
Mer

Tail biting advice?

Poor Sir Reginald has some tail issues. He looked great this morning when I left, and when I got home his tail looks ragged. It doesn't look dark around the edges and otherwise he looks and is acting fine. He recently got moved to the display tank, which is heated. He is extremely lively in his tank, as opposed to being more lethargic in the unheated hospital tank while I checked him out for any health issues. He seemed fine then.

All I can find about tail biting is that it seems to be stress related. Other than keeping him in clean water, which I do anyway, what can I do to help him heal?

Before

After

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? My thermometer is not exact, but it's between 78 and 82
Does your tank have a filter? Nope
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? It's just him, a plant, some gravel, and a hiding place

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? He's really not a picky eater. Either a pinch of flakes twice a day, or two pellets twice a day
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Two times a week, more if needed
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra betta safe, but I also let the water sit in a container reserved for the fish tank overnight before a water change

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I haven't tested it

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The top half of his tail is significantly more ragged
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Behavior seems the same. I haven't actually seen him biting his tail.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nothing yet, but the tank will be cleaned tomorrow, so I can make any changes then.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? He seems full grown, but I've only had him for a week.
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #2 
ARNOLDluvsYOU

it may be because of your fishes age or his tank looks a little crowded so you may wanna get a bigger one. His tail may be rubbing against a lot of the objects.if this is the case a bigger tank is necassary
ARNOLDluvsYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #3 
Mer

It's hard to tell in these pictures, but there's that much space again above the plant and hiding spot. I may take out the hiding spot temporarily to see if that helps. A bigger tank is a definite consideration but currently out of my price range. :/
Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #4 
Mer

With the tank cleaned and the jar/hiding spot out, he seems more relaxed. I also raised the water level as high as I could (with breathing space left under the lid) so he has more space to swim. I'm keeping a close eye on him and his water, since when I cleaned it, the humidity from the heated water had loosened up some old hard water build up from the top edges of the tanks. :( Poor guy! Might have to do some extra water changes for a while if that continues.