Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Vizja- Although I have no problem with breeding high quality veiltails and fully support them getting into shows, this user is breeding pet store veiltails and is going to give them to the pet store. We all know that the more on the shelf, the more that die before finding homes. This persons best plan is to give them to the petstore.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #12 
Myates

It depends on what the breeder's goals are, whether or not VTs would be a good match for them. As far as desirable, it's an individual's opinion.. 99% of people who purchase bettas purchase them for their looks/colors. They will choose a VT over any other fin if they find that particular fish pretty/attractive. I was at Petco yesterday, saw 2 people wanting bettas (the guy was putting them out at the time.. me and him sort of bonded lol).. pretty DTs, HMs, HMDTs, etc.. those two people chose VTs because they thought those particular ones were pretty over the others.

So no, showers and breeders don't tend to buy them, but the majority of the population who do buy bettas for pets don't care the fin type.

Matts.. I respect you in many ways, but guess where a lot of my bettas are going? Even Petco mentioned an interest in my dragonscales. I'm not going to be able to sell a hundred + on AB - and Petco just opened so all the LFS around have closed.. so my options are limited.

Also.. if you don't sell all of your fish, can't find anyone to take them, and you need room.. do you cull? A lot of people do.. so what is the difference between the breeder killing them or the breeder giving them some chance at finding a home?

Last edited by Myates; 02-27-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #13 
Vizja13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Vizja- Although I have no problem with breeding high quality veiltails and fully support them getting into shows, this user is breeding pet store veiltails and is going to give them to the pet store. We all know that the more on the shelf, the more that die before finding homes. This persons best plan is to give them to the petstore.
To that point, I do agree. You should make sure you are starting from good stock, and unfortunately petstore VTs are bred the worst with mixed coloring and just plain weird genetics. I just think you take this too far, breeding VTs is not all bad, it depends on the stock you start from. Quite honestly, if I could get any fish from aquabid right now, it would be a VT male I saw the other day.

To the original poster, breeding should be something everyone who is willing to dedicate the time and money should get to enjoy (and better to try with fish then, say, a dog...). However, that dedication needs to go all the way through. You said you were keeping several, how about giving the rest to friends or family? Advertising around your neighborhood, or on craigslist? Make sure the fish get the best home you can give them, and if you cannot commit to that, then yes, perhaps re-thinking breeding would be a wise idea.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #14 
Myates

Ah.. but many breeders who show start with pet store bettas.. in fact, 2 of my breeders are from pet stores.

As long as the fish is healthy it is NO different than a fish from a breeder. Pet store bettas come from breeders.. it's not like they grow them in trees ;)

A healthy betta, regardless of where it comes from, will have good babies. The only downside to a pet store betta is the uncertainty of what colors you will get. But other than that, there is nothing wrong with breeding a healthy pet store fish.

How many guppies, platies, mollies from pet stores do people breed? What is the difference between them and bettas?

Last edited by Myates; 02-27-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #15 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Pet store bettas are essentially two mass produced fish being thrown together to create two more mass produced fish. Unknown genetics and typically bad finnage. There are gems, however I highly doubt that this person has two high quality vts.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #16 
Vizja13

I was actually referring specifically to veils in this case. I agree, so long as you use strong, healthy, well formed fish from stores, and you cull carefully, then breeding them is in my opinion fine. I personally worry more from a health standpoint (genetic defects causing health or structural issues) in the unknown and not necessarily responsible genetics of pet store fish.

I'll be perfectly honest, my red copper pair are from petstores. Is from petstores? Both sound weird, anyway. I just think you need to be very careful what you breed, and be wary of the extremely mixed genetic background of veils, which from what I have seen, is less clean than the other tail types.

And no one tell my veils I said that about them, I adore my two, I would just never use them because I recognize that they are not breeding quality, while my HM is actually worth starting from.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Petstore bettas can be bred as long as they're healthy. The OP may end up with only a dozen or so babies. The first fish I ever got from a breeder came from a spawn that had about 15 or 16 that lived to adulthood.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #18 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I own and breed petstore fish but-

1)They are not veiltails.
2)They are what I would consider "gems"
3)They are from pet stores that I trust, not mega companies
4)They are deform free and healthy

There is nothing inherently wrong with pet store fish. Ask Sena. But it seems as though this person just walked into a pet store and grabbed the first two fish they saw.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #19 
Fenghuang

You do not know how he went about picking his fish. Please do not assume.

You feel your petstore bettas are gems. This member most likely feels his petstore bettas are gems. Regardless, these are both opinions. You can think what you want, but that doesn't necessarily mean your way of thinking is the only way.

How are mass produced petstore HMs or CTs or DTs any better than mass produced petstore VTs background-wise? All betta types are making their way into the large chain petstores now. A healthy, deformity-free HM/CT/DT and a healthy deformity-free VT sitting side by side in a petstore both still have unknown genetic backgrounds. What makes the other tail types less prone to flaws? What makes them less deformed? What makes them more worthy of being bred?

Last edited by Fenghuang; 02-27-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #20 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Why are the other tail types worth more and rarer fenghung? By your logic, they should all be the same price.

Tags
cull, fry, natural