Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #61 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
And you really shouldn't breed veil tails. In a community tank. With gravel.
Read the thread carefully, and you will see how i will breed them. You obviously don't read all that I write, or you forget what you read.
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #62 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I did read it. That's precisely what you are planning on doing but you will take other fish out.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #63 
soady

Yeah, I am gonna breed my pet bettas. Just one red VT and one iridescent RT. Go figure...

And about MattsBettas, he got off the subject a while ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I did read it. That's precisely what you are planning on doing but you will take other fish out.
From the other thread... Guess you didn't read that one...

"There is my solution. The neons will be at my 1 gallon bowl while the female betta will have the other side of the tank. Everyone will be happy. Especially since I will remove all the gravel from the left side where the nest will be. I will then not let them see each other for a while, condition them, and finally introduce them to a healthy environment, small, but healthy and spacious enough for how many fish will determine the father as he will stay with them until some age when I can give them to an aquarium pet store."

Last edited by dramaqueen; 02-28-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #64 
louisvillelady

Hey Matt, actually there is a "Plakat body" It is a shorter stocker build. Not "crooked and spoon head" like someone said. I learned this from Linda Olson who is a former IBC judge, an editor for the magazine, and nominated for president of IBC. She knows her stuff. She told me this in a conversation we had about why most of the bettas these days have a shorter body. It came along when breeding for the plakat tail. Personally, I am currently breeding plakat tail giants, and I'm working on establishing a longer leaner body. Was fortunate enough to find a male and female that both have the long body! :)

What no one here has talked about is why IBC chose to stop having veil tails catagories. The reason is they have found out that the long tails are hard on the fish. They are beautiful! but the IBC is about promoting what is best for the species. Now, my first bettas were veil tails as well. If you mention betta fish to the majority of people, they picture a veil tail. The reason is, that is what the stores carry, and that is what they know. I have two pet stores that I sell to. I breed other fish as well and also propogate aquatic plants. Both of the stores are hesitant to take plakat or halfmoon bettas. They fear that they will not sale. Because the majority of the population think of the long veil tails when they think of bettas. I have gotten them to buy deltas, but I think that is because they didn't know the difference! I truly believe they thought I breed some "bad" or "short tailed" veil tails. (Shaking head)

I am hoping to try and change some things in the pet stores around here. I am going to start breeding a variety of colors of plakats. I want to grow the females together, and offer them to the petstores and teach them about sororities. If they set up a display, it may catch on. People like cichlids because they are cheap, colorful, freshwater fish and you can keep alot together. (sort of) Well, good breed plakat females are very colorful. They can be kept together, especially if they are raised that way. Plus you can have plants in their tanks, something you cannot do with cichlids.

Now, I am not going to argue any of this with any of you. If you want to breed veiltails, there is nothing I can say to convince you otherwise. I have also learned that you really cannot have much of a discussion on this forum without people wanting to argue and sling $h**. I don't play those childish games. I'm not saying those people are on this thread, but there are some on this forum. What I have said about the veil tails is true, and we all have to make our own decisions. I do believe that we are all here because we love these fish. And Lord knows we spend a small fortune breeding them. There is definitely no money to be made in it. So lets all play nice together. :)
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #65 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by soady View Post
From the other thread... Guess you didn't read that one...

"There is my solution. The neons will be at my 1 gallon bowl while the female betta will have the other side of the tank. Everyone will be happy. Especially since I will remove all the gravel from the left side where the nest will be. I will then not let them see each other for a while, condition them, and finally introduce them to a healthy environment, small, but healthy and spacious enough for how many fish will determine the father as he will stay with them until some age when I can give them to an aquarium pet store."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Why put multiple fish in such a small container, where the ammonia will build up quickly (more than bettas, because every time a fish uses it's gills, it creates ammonia). Why not put the female in the 1g with a heater, get a 10g and put the neons in that?

Then everyone will be happy. But multiple neons in a bowl? They need a filter.. you expect them to live in that bowl, cold (the temp will be below 70), full of ammonia for 3+ months?
-.-

I think the focus should be more on how they are going to be bred is more detrimental than what he is breeding.
Let him breed VTs.. if someone willing to buy them then go for it. He first has to realize he won't be having any survive for long.. so the type he is breeding will be moot :)

Last edited by Myates; 02-28-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #66 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Thanks lvl! You informed me about something in a polite way!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #67 
soady

"Let him breed VTs.."

I never asked for anyone's approval. My VT's will not be moot.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #68 
louisvillelady

Anytime Mattsbettas! That is what we are here for is to learn from one another! :) Some of us anyway.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #69 
soady

MattsBettas sure learned about "Plakat body" ;)
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #70 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yes. Because I have an open mind. You, however, close your ears to anything we say. And your definition and lvl's definition are very different.

Tags
cull, fry, natural