Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #71 
Myates

Not saying the VTs will be moot, but selling them may because without proper care and bigger/more tanks, they won't survive long enough to be sold.. that is all I am saying. The proper equipment/set up is vital for their survival.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #72 
soady

You are very close minded. In your mind, you were just teasing me to find "reliable evidence blah blah". It never occurred to you that it may exist. You have a child's mentality and I advise you to stop posting in my threads because you won't get any more replies. (It's a standard procedure for ignorant people, I'm sure you won't understand)
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #73 
louisvillelady

Soady, I'm sorry, but if I heard you say something about bettas that I never heard before I would not believe it to be accurate either. You have very little knowledge of the species, and you refuse to learn anything from those who do know. THAT is why Mattsbettas didn't believe you, and he even asked you for a RELIABLE SOURCE because you are not.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #74 
soady

You missed the point. I started this thread so I could have my question answered, and he just sees bits and pieces and rants about them. Understand? With no point.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #75 
MoonShadow

Lvl are you sure that the ibc doesn't have classes for bettas because of their heavy tails? I've never heard that before. I was told by the old ibc president and some of the top breeders in the country that vts aren't shown because they are considered a thing of the past. There is no standard and no one is working with them so why would they have classes for them. I don't think it has anything to do with their fins after all your standard show half moon has much bigger fins then your standard veil tail.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #76 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would like to advise you guys to stop arguing and name calling before this thread is closed. Calling names like childish and ignorant will not be tolerated.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #77 
louisvillelady

Soady, I've not seen Mattsbettas "rant" about anything. He states his opinion or answers a post, and moves with the conversation. He came to this thread and posted an response, and YOU brought up his opinion about veiltails.

I have a question that I really would like an answer to. Why do you insist on ignoring the advice given to you about breeding bettas? Is it because you think we are misleading you in some way, do you think we do not know what we are talking about, or is there another reason? I am not attacking you in this question, it just confuses me that people do this. So I am very curious as to the reason behind your behavior.

Moonshadow, I was told that they are a "thing of the past" because people realized how heavy the veil tails are for the fish, and therefore not a desired trait. And that the IBC did not want to promote the breeding of this trait. Therefore, it is a thing of the past. In the veil tails, the fish do not have control over the entire length of the tail. The tail hangs and causes a drag in the water,and it is much harder for the fish to swim. In the halfmoons, the fish have total control over the entire length of the tail and can hold it up and move it where ever it needs in order to swim.

There is no standard and no one is working with them so why would they have classes for them.

Moonshadow, the IBC are the
ones who set the standards for the fish.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 02-28-2013 at 10:53 PM.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #78 
indjo
TFK Moderator

This thread surely escalated. I didn't say anything yesterday because I thought it had settled down. But like DQ, I will CLOSE this thread if the arguing and name calling keeps up. We are a family of betta lovers, so lets please keep it family friendly.

As far as I know VT are "the past" because IBC can't make standards such as desired fin shape and lengths, balance, etc. Not because of their heavy finnage. Perhaps this was also considered but as far as I know it wasn't the main reason.

There is a difference with body; the PK is shorter but thicker while the VT is longer and slim. The two (shoet finned and long finned) are often crossed to improve long fin's body (make it thicker) and fins (make rays bigger or make fins stiffer). BUT BOTH should have a torpedo/bullet shape top line which means it has a perfectly healthy spine.

Each area/country . . . heck even every single person may have their own preference on the betta's physical appearance. PLEASE respect it, regardless of how you feel about it. And the OP, being informed is not being yelled at. Everyone is trying to give his/her best opinion according to his/her preference. So don't take them as something offensive and reply by name calling.

Just to clear things up:
@soady; I know you are in Serbia. TBH I know nothing about your country nor your people. But you must understand that most members here are from the US. Betta breeding can be very expensive for them. VT are the cheapest and most common fin type in pet stores and lots of them rot and never find homes. Please, try to understand these people's concerns, why they don't want to add more VT to pet shops. Further the expenses in breeding any betta is the same. So it is only logical that breeding modern fin type is financially, though only slightly, better.

To everyone else; Please understand and respect that the OP is in Serbia, different condition, preference, etc.

That being said, I hope this arguing will stop and move on to "discussing" what is feasible - such as the breeding method/setup.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #79 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillelady View Post
Soady, I've not seen Mattsbettas "rant" about anything. He states his opinion or answers a post, and moves with the conversation. He came to this thread and posted an response, and YOU brought up his opinion about veiltails.

I have a question that I really would like an answer to. Why do you insist on ignoring the advice given to you about breeding bettas? Is it because you think we are misleading you in some way, do you think we do not know what we are talking about, or is there another reason? I am not attacking you in this question, it just confuses me that people do this. So I am very curious as to the reason behind your behavior.

Moonshadow, I was told that they are a "thing of the past" because people realized how heavy the veil tails are for the fish, and therefore not a desired trait. And that the IBC did not want to promote the breeding of this trait. Therefore, it is a thing of the past. In the veil tails, the fish do not have control over the entire length of the tail. The tail hangs and causes a drag in the water,and it is much harder for the fish to swim. In the halfmoons, the fish have total control over the entire length of the tail and can hold it up and move it where ever it needs in order to swim.

There is no standard and no one is working with them so why would they have classes for them.

Moonshadow, the IBC are the
ones who set the standards for the fish.

It's okay... I dislike him because he comes up blunt saying VTs are bad and that I shouldn't breed them. He won't change, but I will listen to advice and have a succsessful spawn. I might buy a 15 gallon bucket for the fry if it gets too crowded.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #80 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
This thread surely escalated. I didn't say anything yesterday because I thought it had settled down. But like DQ, I will CLOSE this thread if the arguing and name calling keeps up. We are a family of betta lovers, so lets please keep it family friendly.

As far as I know VT are "the past" because IBC can't make standards such as desired fin shape and lengths, balance, etc. Not because of their heavy finnage. Perhaps this was also considered but as far as I know it wasn't the main reason.

There is a difference with body; the PK is shorter but thicker while the VT is longer and slim. The two (shoet finned and long finned) are often crossed to improve long fin's body (make it thicker) and fins (make rays bigger or make fins stiffer). BUT BOTH should have a torpedo/bullet shape top line which means it has a perfectly healthy spine.

Each area/country . . . heck even every single person may have their own preference on the betta's physical appearance. PLEASE respect it, regardless of how you feel about it. And the OP, being informed is not being yelled at. Everyone is trying to give his/her best opinion according to his/her preference. So don't take them as something offensive and reply by name calling.

Just to clear things up:
@soady; I know you are in Serbia. TBH I know nothing about your country nor your people. But you must understand that most members here are from the US. Betta breeding can be very expensive for them. VT are the cheapest and most common fin type in pet stores and lots of them rot and never find homes. Please, try to understand these people's concerns, why they don't want to add more VT to pet shops. Further the expenses in breeding any betta is the same. So it is only logical that breeding modern fin type is financially, though only slightly, better.

To everyone else; Please understand and respect that the OP is in Serbia, different condition, preference, etc.

That being said, I hope this arguing will stop and move on to "discussing" what is feasible - such as the breeding method/setup.
+++ :)

Tags
cull, fry, natural