Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #81 
Vizja13

15 gallons is still too small for a fry growout... 20 gallons is absolute minimum
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #82 
Myates

I'll always support whatever people want to breed. I will warn about whether or not it may be easily sold (here in the US), etc.. but I have no problem with VTs.. they are actually ones I really love and I would breed them in a heartbeat if they were desirable here.

My only concern was how you plan on going about the breeding, the selling waaaay before they would be ready, not giving them anything larger than 4 gallons the whole time you have them, etc. Fin type makes no difference - each breeder has their favorites and opinions.. no one has the right to say another can't breed something because it isn't a favorite among breeders and show people. It's about the care that matters.. HMs would turn out ugly if not bred/raised in proper conditions.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #83 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizja13 View Post
15 gallons is still too small for a fry growout... 20 gallons is absolute minimum
20 is okay if it is a small spawn - if culled very heavily. I personally won't use anything under 29g.. and my latest spawn of around 200+ I will probably end up splitting between two of those.

15g is okay if they cull down to a low number. Can't assume each spawn is going to be hundreds.. may end up with only 10 survivors and 10 would be fine in a 15g with proper water changes.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #84 
Vizja13

That's fair. I guess it depends on how much you cull
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #85 
Myates

It does.. you can also split up the spawns into multiple 10gs, etc. There are many ways to breed, but they have the same requirements that need to be met regardless what size you breed/grow in. :)
Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #86 
soady

Here, in Serbia, VTs have no problem being sold and I've already arranged the transfer with the manager of a local store. As I said, I will buy one of those plastic containers of 15-20 gallons and make a good setup there along with some floating plants with a heater but not a filter. Condition them properly, introduce etc. The rest of my fishes will be taken care of properly.
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #87 
Myates

I would recommend getting at least 2 of those.. and a way to light them, as living in the dark isn't good for them.. and you will still need the jars and a way to heat the jars because... again... they need to grow before you sell them and they will need to be separated weeks before you sell them. How are you going to be able to see them clearly to know which ones are deformed or sick when in a dark bucket?

SO ... at least another grow out tank, unless you plan to kill off most of them.
A way to light the buckets so they don't live in absolute dark..
Jars and a way to heat them all.

Can't skimp.. this guy may give you a few cents for the fish, but they should at least be healthy and active, and big enough.

You are breeding to breed, and if you think you will make money on it you won't. You aren't doing it for the love of the species, if you did you would put in at least half the effort needed to properly raise them... can't skimp, you skimp you kill.

What do you plan to feed them?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #88 
louisvillelady

I just breed two virgins about a month ago and ended up with at least300 fry! Those little fish can surprise you! Just because it is their first time doesn't mean they will have fewer offspring. I know that in other animals, birds, cats, dogs, the younger the fewer offspring. Not necessarily so with bettas
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #89 
Xaltd1

Wow, I've been lurking...
There's an extremely long thread devoted to veiltails. Chard56 is an active breeder of them. I think he sells them on Aquabid.

I was going to use my females to cull. I have 9- I feel it's the most natural way. In the wild, 500 little fry would be gobbled up by other fish in no time.Probably fast, too.

Now I'm absolutely paranoid about the quality of my parents. They aren't sibs, but both a nice, strong yellow. I paid $$$, but that doesn't mean they're any good. I was going to buy another yellow girl that's posted on ebay (as a "backup"), but she'd another $45+ shipping... sigh.

I wonder how many yellow spawn I will get if any? It seems to be recessive to everything. BTW, they're HMs, but a yellow veiltail would be gorgeous!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #90 
Xaltd1

P. S. We're losing sight of the purpose of the fish. Regardless of finnage, we want beautiful fish to look at and care for. The vast majority will never be bred. As long as they're healthy and well cared for, who cares about what's "in fashion"? It's too bad the veiltail has been overbred. It's a lovely fin type.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cull, fry, natural