Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #1 
sandrac8388

tankmates for a ten gallon..advice

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with driftwood, a heater, and a filter. I've had the betta in for about 6 months. I decided to get some zebra danios just because the tank seems super big and empty. I got 5 zebra danios and so far everyone gets along. I also have one nerite snail for algae control. I am thinking about getting one oto catfish but have read mixed reviews about how many to get. is 1 ok? maybe 3? I wanted to get one because the nerite needs some help with the algae. any advice would be awesome!

Also, are there any other fish that will be ok with a betta other than danios? I have 2 more 10 gallons. they are all planted and have driftwood.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #2 
FishKarl

To be on the safe side get three or make sure they are the new shipment. If they survive the first two or so weeks with you then yay you have three but the way they are captured stresses them out. I was lucky enough to get a new batch from my LFS and gotten no mortality rate. Sorry I can't help you with the danios question since I never kept any.
FishKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

Like FishKarl said, the otos need at least three in the group since they are schoaling fish.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #4 
Nicci Lu

Speaking from experience with the otos- I only have two right now in my 10 gallon and it's pretty clear that they need more oto companions. I plan on getting two more ASAP. I don't think the otos will be truly happy until they are in a group of at least four. But 4 otos would make you overstocked, I believe.

Honestly, it sounds as though you have a nice setup just the way it is, with the betta, the danios and the nerite. I would keep it as it is, maybe add another nerite if you're worried about algae. Or an Amano shrimp, possibly- I've heard they're great algae eaters.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #5 
sandrac8388

Would getting three otos total be overstocking? And would three total be ok? I really want them..they're super cute!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #6 
soady

I have 6 neon tetras with my bettas. The male chases them sometimes but it is impossible for him to catch them. I think tetras are good tank mates for a betta because they stay low and the betta stays near the surface.

When I feed my betta I crush some flakes with his food so they fall down for tetras to eat. They will eat everything that is falling down if you crush it nicely and don't put too much.

I have an 8gal tank with male and female divided with a piece of wood and a safe net through which tetras can go through. They prefer to stay with the male even though he chases them occasionally.

Just wanted to share my experience. :)

P.S. This is my reply, that I copied of another thread, since it regards the same question. Hope you won't mind.
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #7 
FishKarl

You would want three since they are social with one another. Plus, you have an okay sized tank. The one thing I'd worry about is their bioload, they poop alot for those little fishies.
FishKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #8 
sandrac8388

Thank you guys!

one more question :) How many otos can go into a 10 gallon with no other tank mates? would 4 still be ok?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

With no other tankmates, 6 otos would be fine. However, some things you should note:

- in future, try to avoid putting zebra danios in anything under 2ft tanks. As you have probably noticed, these fish are ridiculously active and really appreciate the zoom-room in larger tanks.
- otos are wild-caught using cyanide. This makes them very delicate and they are not suitable for tanks that are new, heavily stocked, unplanted or only lightly planted.
- otos are schooling fish and really should be kept in groups of five plus. Numbers = security = less stress = healthier fish.
- stocking bettas and danios together is hit and miss. Danios are subtropical and prefer cooler (68-75F), faster moving water, as is found in their native rivers. Bettas prefer tropical (78F+), slowmoving or still water. Bettas can also be stressed by the fast moving danios, which can also nip. If you can avoid putting them together, I would. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #10 
sandrac8388

How many danios can go into a 10 gallon? I think I might pass on the Oto.