Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #31 
soady

They are not in conditions in which they would thrive, but they don't stay there for long enough to have any effect on the fish, unlike the cups that I saw on the Internet so much.
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #32 
soady

There are 15 bettas on that photo. It is not overstocked at all, especially since they are all young.

Those are all planted, cycled tanks, you don't have a point.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #33 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

There are 26 fish plus snails. There are so few plants that they have no decent place to hide. They are injured, clamped, and very obviously stressed. You can not ignore that. I think they would be happier in a cup.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #34 
Myates

That picture, those fish all have stress stripes and are clamped. They are not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soady View Post
"Neons are best kept in a densely planted tank with subdued light and an ideal temperature of 21–27C (70–81F) to resemble their native Amazon environments."
Your tank has neither on a daily basis.

There is my solution. The neons will be at my 1 gallon bowl while the female betta will have the other side of the tank. Everyone will be happy.
Why put multiple fish in such a small container, where the ammonia will build up quickly (more than bettas, because every time a fish uses it's gills, it creates ammonia). Why not put the female in the 1g with a heater, get a 10g and put the neons in that?

Then everyone will be happy. But multiple neons in a bowl? They need a filter.. you expect them to live in that bowl, cold (the temp will be below 70), full of ammonia for 3+ months?

Especially since I will remove all the gravel from the left side where the nest will be. I will then not let them see each other for a while, condition them, and finally introduce them to a healthy environment, small, but healthy and spacious enough for how many fish will determine the father as he will stay with them until some age when I can give them to an aquarium pet store.
What if he determines to keep 200+ fry? Then what?

They will last about 4 weeks (at most) in that size (well.. unsure what size as you never said what tank size you are doing this in).. then they must be moved to a larger tank. Even if you only have 5 babies, they will need to go into a larger space. Period. No way to go around it.

You will have to wait until they are about 4 months old before you can sell them - they will need to be separated BEFORE they reach selling age. They WILL NEED larger space before they reach selling age. Can't get around that.

So you will still need a grow out tank and multiple heated jars to house them so they can grow to the size they need before you sell them. If you sell them too young then you are doing what Petco does and send them off to people who have no idea how to care for adults, let alone very young juvies..

I spoke to the manager of the store today when I was getting new lights and he said that it would be great. So that's my plan, give them away when they are at just about fighting and keep one or two females.
They start fighting before they should be sold - while they are only 6-7 weeks you will easily start jarring them. You ideally want to wait until 14/16 weeks before selling to give them a chance at surviving. That tiny space will not allow 5 of them to grow up with the dad.

I believe these are good conditions, especially since the water is cycled better in a larger tank, even though the spawning side will be a half of the tank.
As mentioned, with the amount of water changes, large changes your cycle will collapse and kill all the fish in the tank. A fry/grow out tank does not need to be cycled.

I might even transfer some of the nest to the female to see if she will take care of them, because, you never know with bettas, each is different.
And those eggs will be dead. There is a reason that the male will chase off the female and oftentimes try to kill her after spawning- she will eat the eggs. They are not the care takers.

As I said earlier, my female once layed eggs on her own and had built a bubble nest to store the eggs, so she has a nice history of being a parent, maybe they will both take care of the little bettas, but separately? :D
Incorrect - she put the eggs in the nest out of instinct. The females often times will help place the eggs into the nest, but that is as far as their role goes into caring for the fry.
Not to be mean/rude, but your ideas just simply put your fish in danger. You are creating hundreds of lives just to have them die shortly after birth. You apparently rather not listen to people who have experience and who have done research... unsure what more I can say to help you see the faults in your plan.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #35 
soady

Some female bettas can take care of the fry. And I never mentioned the tank size because I already got the answer to the question because of which I made the thread in the first place. I appreciate all the advice, and don't think I will not accept it, it is just tiring to answer the same questions and repeat myself. Hundreds die in the wild, that's why there are so many eggs. Plenty of species have the same reproductive system where many are born but only few live.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #36 
Myates

We understand hundreds die. But why kill them all? Again, where are they going to grow out in? And how do you plan to do water changes, add new water in, etc and hold the cycle? You are having to repeat yourself because you are arguing about how your way is a good way.. instead of seeing the major flaws it has.

I hate doing this.. I don't want to argue, but I will stand up for the health/safety of the fish, especially since needless deaths can be prevented.

Just saw the size... 4 gallons will last a spawn all of a few weeks before they have to be moved.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #37 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
We understand hundreds die. But why kill them all? Again, where are they going to grow out in? And how do you plan to do water changes, add new water in, etc and hold the cycle? You are having to repeat yourself because you are arguing about how your way is a good way.. instead of seeing the major flaws it has.

I hate doing this.. I don't want to argue, but I will stand up for the health/safety of the fish, especially since needless deaths can be prevented.

Just saw the size... 4 gallons will last a spawn all of a few weeks before they have to be moved.
It is an imperfect environment to raise fry, but it will certainly bring results.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #38 
louisvillelady

You did state how big the tank is. 8 gallons. then divided that makes 4 gallons. Alot of people spawn in a small container then transfer to the growout tank. THOSE SMALL SPAWN CONTAINERS ARE BIGGER THAN 4 GALLONS!

Myates, unfortunately I do believe we are wasting our time here. This person neither wants our advice nor will heed our advice. If they are able to get them to spawn, the Dad is going to eat the fry. case closed. None will survive. WE know this. I'm leaving this thread never to return. There are others on this forum who wants and needs our advice and who will actually listen to the advice given. That is where I am going to spend my time on this forum.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #39 
soady

"...the Dad is going to eat the fry. case closed. None will survive. WE know this."

You don't know, nor you could ever know. All you can do is guess and that will be over once you see what is really to come.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #40 
Myates

Most likely it will be a case of your actions killing them rather than the father.

You are going to kill your neons.. they are fragile to begin with, putting 6 into a 1g bowl is going to kill them quickly.

You can breed them in the 4g, just set it up to be a proper fry tank. Take out the filter, raise the temp, find another home for the female, etc.

It is doable in that tank, but the filter needs to go - if you were to remove the divider to give the fry more space (saying you gave your female another home), and you turn off that filter (which needs to happen as the filter will push them around and suck them up - kill them quick).. your cycle will crash and kill your fry. You need to get it turned off first, empty the tank, and redo it to make it safe.

Tags
breeding, female, hides, stripes, vertical