Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #1 
Sparrowhawk

Exclamation "Breathing" heavily? What could this mean?

I've been poring over the stickies on diseases and illnesses for a while now, and inspecting Feyd in between pages. I'm not sure if I need to panic, or if I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

Since yesterday, he has been "breathing" heavily through his gills. He has not been lethargic, if anything he's been more inquisitive and active than usual. He has been chucking hissy fits with me and flaring at me when I come up to his tank occasionally, I don't know what that's about either...

I can't figure out if his gills are red or inflamed-looking, because they are black, and always have been, which makes it pretty difficult to tell if there's an issue via looking for discolouration.

Anyway, here's the questionnaire filled out, and I hope that someone has better eyes than mine if there are any visual indicators of what might be wrong, photos are after the questions.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.9 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, a sponge filter.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? The bubbles through the sponge filter, otherwise no.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Thera A+ Regular Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, two pellets per feeding, have been debating whether this is enough though

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Previously twice a week, but it has decreased since adding loads of fast-growing stems (as per daily test results)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-60% since planting the tank
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, Flourish, CO2 Booster, and if he's been biting, Stress Guard

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.8
Hardness: Unknown
Alkalinity: Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It has not changed, but his behaviour has.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is "breathing" heavily through his gills, and has taken to flaring at me randomly when I come to his tank to visit him
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not unless tail-biting counts.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He was given to us on December 25 2012 as an adult, but his age is unknown.

(Note: The "white dots" in the first picture aren't actually on him, they're due to my apparently non-existant glass-cleaning skills.)

If anyone has any ideas as to whether something is wrong, and if so, what it could be, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #2 
Sparrowhawk

So... Apparently he's fine now, judging by his behaviour. Weird... I wonder what the issue was.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote