Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Art
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #51 
Fenghuang

Do you work at Walmart, Syriiven? Don't mean to be nosy, but is it as bad as other people say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Feng, Sryiiven; may I please use your designs as a tattoo? I've been trying to think of what type if tattoo I'd want and I LOVE all of your pics. May I please have your permission to use these designs SOLELY for the purpose of me getting a tattoo and nothing else?
If you mean the notebook stuff on the first page, go ahead. This is Syriiven's thread though, so if you need anything else, please PM me.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #52 
Syriiven

Well, first, our Walmart hasn't had a fish section in a long, long time (a lot of Canadian Walmarts dont have fishstock any more)- but when we did, they lucked out and had a girl working there who's first concern were the fish. I heard she'd flip out if she went away for a little while and came back to see that no one had done anything for the fish.

The thing that people have to understand about Walmart is that if it can hire someone qualified for their price, they would, but more often or not they have regular people needing to just pay bills who are thinking only about themselves.

I personally dont agree with lots of things Walmart does (like selling canned Tuna which I know doesnt come from a sustainable source because the world's bluefin tuna is going to be critically endangered in a year or two because the big ones are gone and now they're accepting juveniles in their catches) but Walmart is about money.

I'm the back room Supervisor, so I deal with boxes and labels more than anything. If we had a fish department, I'd chew off a limb to run it because I know I'd be good at it.

But yea, I've seen people's rants on here, which I can understand the concern for the fish...but they almost make me feel bad as a person for my association to Walmart. But because I have a job, I can afford to have my fish. And to have internet, so I can post my art. So two things I bring to this forum that I prlly couldn't at any other job here because I live in a small town that's definitely not hiring. Walmart is as petty as any other large corporation - but it does bring jobs to town.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #53 
Fenghuang

Oh, okay, thank you. I always heard that Walmart treats their employees horribly.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #54 
Syriiven

It depends on your managers as people. The policies arent terrible, but the managers can be. In my store your best shot is to work hard and make yourself irreplaceable and reliable. That's what I do, and so I get away with actually voicing my opinion every now and again.

On the other hand, Walmart's not the type of place to just fire your ass as soon as you dont show up for work. We've had people on evening shift who ahvent showed up for half their shifts and still work there -_-; So...yea. Some of their policies are good...some are just dumb.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #55 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yea all the Walmart we have here no longer stock fish. It makes me happy!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #56 
Syriiven

Me too, hearing the stories...and, well, working there, I can definitely see how it would happen too.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #57 
Fenghuang

I would think that working for any large chain would be the same. Some people do make working for Walmart sound so much worse than anywhere else though.

The Walmart near me did not have any bettas for months. Then, I went back recently and saw a few VTs and CTs. They don't even bother placing the cups somewhere visible in that store. They have these tiny nondescript racks in the alcove over, I guess, the employee sink (the same sink where I've seen them leave out netfuls of dead fish) and that's where they keep the bettas. Alongside the cleaning supplies and the soap.

Syr, do you typically draw backgrounds?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #58 
Syriiven

I can~ it's not something I'm good at yet. I've been using brushes and gradients, not a lot of my own stuff. For background work..have to check out some of my DA stuff. Bigger projects I generally add background though. My 'Demon Hunter Syriiven' pic on my DA page was fully drawn by me though, but its sadly my only digital sample of my own work.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #59 
Fenghuang

What are you talking about? That is pretty good (the Demon Hunter painting). I especially like the tree and the water.

Btw, your avatar is awesome. I love Leafeon. I even did a drawing of Leafeon a while back.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #60 
Syriiven

Lol, by gradients and brushes? For my digital betta stuff I've been cheating and using gradient filters and custom made brushes in photoshop to make some easy but good looking backgrounds.

Tags
perry spams tags, tattoo tribal