Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #1 
angus

frustrated with walmart

I was at walmart today getting dog food and decided to go down the fish aisle. Last week at this time I ended up coming home with Phoenix when I did this. Last week they had hardly any aquariums, no decorations, and poor little Phoenix was in his tiny cup with it less than half full.

Anyway today they were fully stocked...with crap! They must be doing more with bettas because they had a whole section for betta supplies. Every "aquarium" I can't even call them that, but anyway they were so tiny. The one that really got me was the 1/2 gallon that they were advertising with a divider. 2 poor bettas are supposed to live in a half gallon container.

Even though I feel good that I'm nursing Phoenix back to health I got a guilty feeling walking down that aisle. Not only did they have all those tiny aquariums for bettas they had 2 whole shelves of actual bettas where poor Phoenix was last week by himself. I know me buying 1 betta for a little over $4 did not do this, but I can't help but feel that I contributed to it.

So yeah. That was my trip to walmart. Makes me mad/sad.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #2 
angus

This was the 1/2 gallon tank I saw...

Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #3 
sainthogan

I've seen those and those tiny little cubes that they have. My husband calls them "Betta Prisons".
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #4 
angus

prison sounds like a pretty good description
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #5 
ZubinBetta

Some of the people who buy the "Ideal for bettas" set-ups don't have a clue, but a retailer like Wal-Mart really does know better than to offer these jail-cells to unsuspecting customers. Your purchase of Phoenix was a drop in a very big bucket, and it has meant everything to Phoenix himself. Rescuing a betta does just that; if your Wal-Mart imagined they could make some bucks off their backs, nothing you might have done would make a difference.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #6 
blu the betta

walmart sells cheap things and raises the price thats the thing i hate. poor walmart bettas.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #7 
angus

thanks for the kind words ZubinBetta
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #8 
Stone

I use one of those as my hospital tank, that's about all its good for or for taking pics other than that it's a prison
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #9 
MoonShadow

I hate that feeling, I've been there! There's a walmart about 45 minutes away from me that I was in over the summer, they hadn't been keeping many bettas in stock and when I went in there were only 4 bettas there, 2 girls, 1 live boy and 1 dead boy... I took the 3 live bettas that were left. Went back about 2 weeks later and they had about 30-40 bettas, the most they had had in months, and just like you I couldn't help think "if I hadn't bought those last fish..." but I know its not my fault, as Zubinbetta said the purchase of the fish was a drop in a very big bucket.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote