Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #1 
Kaley2013

Betta with Zebrafish?

Advised by the people at Petco, I bought 6 zebra danios and put them in a filtered and heated 10g with my male deltatail, Saturn. The first day, they were zipping around everywhere and Saturn was just swimming around in a circle across the back of the tank. I thought it would just take them some time. Saturn ate just fine last night even with the danios in there. (I am netting him and holding him in the water while he eats, and he doesn't eat the danios' flake food.) I am at school right now so I don't know how they are doing. Do you think this is an okay setup? Or should I return the danios and get something more docile, such as tetras? I honestly want to keep my danios if possible, they're growing on me. Thanks.
Kaley2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #2 
popcorndeer

i dont think that you shoud put tetars in whith a betta
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #3 
GailC

I'm not sure if danios will nip fins or not but their hyperactivity could bother some betta. You'll just have to watch and see how they interact with each other. If he seems stressed or they nip at him, they will need to go.

Many tetras are fin nippers so you will need to research the different kinds. I've kept neons with bettas and never had any issues but that was always in a bigger tank.
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Give it a few days before you decide anything as see how he does then.

I wouldn't put tetras in with a betta either, they are notoriously nippy fish. But I have seen many people do it without problems.

Personally, if this were me, I would return the danios if they didn't work out a d look for a bottom dwelling species, a school of dwarf cories would be awesome, plus they spend a lot of time at all levels, but aren't too active.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #5 
Kaley2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Give it a few days before you decide anything as see how he does then.

I wouldn't put tetras in with a betta either, they are notoriously nippy fish. But I have seen many people do it without problems.

Personally, if this were me, I would return the danios if they didn't work out a d look for a bottom dwelling species, a school of dwarf cories would be awesome, plus they spend a lot of time at all levels, but aren't too active.
Thanks for the reply. I would love some cories, but I only have access to a Petco and one LFS. Petco only has Panda Cories, will those work? http://www.petco.com/product/104838/Panda-Cory.aspx

I can call the LFS when I get home and see if they have any dwarf cories, but I doubt it. They don't have a wide selection; they focus more on small animals nowadays.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Personally, I think zebra danios really need a 3ft long tank. They are extremely active swimmers and six of them are going to be quite cramped in a 10 gallon tank.

Seriouslyfish.com is putting their minimum base tank requirements as 60x30 cm.

I also believe danios can be fin nippers. My brother had danios in the past, and they were always causing trouble amongst the other fish.

It's a shame that more nano friendly fish are not widely available. Certain microdevario and microrasbora species can be excellent tankmates for bettas, yet they are hardly found anywhere. Even green neon tetras might be a better choice as they are smaller than their more common counterpart, but the difficulty is in finding them locally!

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...odon-simulans/
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #7 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaley2013 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I would love some cories, but I only have access to a Petco and one LFS. Petco only has Panda Cories, will those work? http://www.petco.com/product/104838/Panda-Cory.aspx

I can call the LFS when I get home and see if they have any dwarf cories, but I doubt it. They don't have a wide selection; they focus more on small animals nowadays.
Yeah pandas would definitely work! Any Cory would be okay, you just would have been able to do a larger school of the dwarfs. I think 5 pandas would be a good number in a 10. You could do more but I wouldn't try it.

Pandas are actually my dream type of Cory! But they are so hard to find around here that when someone does have them available they end up rediculously overpriced.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #8 
Crowntails

Danios need at least a 20 gallon long tank due to how active they are. Panda cories are very nice. A school of 5 would be nice.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #9 
Kaley2013

Okay, so if I'm getting the panda cories, what should I do with my danios? Can I return them to Petco? I don't think I have my receipt.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Without a reciept it might be hard. If they won't take them (call ahead first to find out) then try finding a good home for them on Craiglist or something.

I second the panda cories, but make sure you have a sand substrate, not pebbles. They are smaller than normal cories and have such delicate barbels that pebbles can cause problems, especially larger or sharper ones.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
male betta zebra danios