Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #1 
vannem

i just got a new tank

i just transferred my betta to a 1 1/2 gal tank with a filter. the other one was like very small and i changed his water once a week and didnt have a filter. i was wondering how often i should change it now that i have a filter and larger tank. and do i change the whole thing or just part of it? also, can i get a algae eater for the tank. "gumball" has been the only one in the tank. so what are some ideas. thanks.
vannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

In a tank that small, algae eaters aren't a viable option. You should be doing a 25-50% water change 1-2x a week and a 100% water change 1 time a week. You can wash everything, but you don't have to. It's usually advised, though, as there is icky fish poo that sits in the rocks. We'd love to see pictures! Also, it would be wise to put getting a submersible heater on your to-do list, along with a submersible thermometer. Your fishy will thank you later! (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #3 
lilyth88

Make sure you get a heater and keep the temp 78-82!
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #4 
vannem

ok. can i get a heater at walmart. or should i go to petco? this is my first real fish and not sure. will the instructions be easy enough to follow. lol. thanks.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #5 
Hadoken Kitty

I'm not sure if they sell heaters at Walmart. If they sell submersible heaters at Walmart, I don't see why not. If not, PetSmart or PetCo will take care of your needs. I would just go to PetCo, though. You may see something else you'd find handy. Like picking up aquarium salt just to have on hand; incase of emergency. OH, and you have water conditioner...right?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #6 
vannem

i was told that i could use distilled water. is that ok. because with the small tank i was getting thee betta water that was premade. if not i will go to petco tomorrow and get info.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #7 
vannem

so what is the aquarium salt and water conitioner used for?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

Distilled water isn't usually recommended since it lacks beneficial nutrients that are present in tap water. The only problem with tap water is that there are harmful chlorines, chloramines, and lots of metals that can hurt bettas and other fish. This is why you use water conditioner (like API for example; incase you can't find any, look for that brand). You'll end up spending a fortune if all you use is the pre-made betta water. It's just more cost effective to use water conditioner for tap water.

Aquarium salt is good to keep on hand in case of emergencies like fin rot. You don't use it all the time, but if you see it and you need to start treating, you'll have it. When I saw that my fish had fin rot, I didn't see it until 11:00 pm at night. By then pet stores are closed, so I couldn't get any AQ (aquarium) salt. It's just something that I really wish I had. I only mention it since fin trot seems to be the most common thing on this forum, aside from constipated fish.

Also, most members on here will eventually tell you to feed for fish pellets whose first three ingredients include whole fish (preferably by name). Omega One Betta pellets and New Life Spectrum are often suggested. I know that OOB is sold at PetSmart. I don't really shop much at PetCo (mainly because there are more PetSmarts in my area, and the PetCos are farther away), but I can't imagine them being much different.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #9 
vannem

okay. ya. i wasnt spending too much on the premade with the tiny tank i had, but i got a much bigger tank so i think im going to take a trip to the pet store tomorrow. i think there is a fish store close to my parents, i might try first. thanks. i will get pics as soon as i figure how to put them on my computer. i will write down all the info and take it with me. thanks!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

Awesome! I love local pet stores. I prefer them over the chain stores, but I've found that when it comes to the food and things they didn't have the brand names that I was looking for. Maybe it's just my town's.