Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #1 
AkaRyu

Putting a tank on a bookshelf?

I'm trying to find a place to put a tank, maybe a 5 or 10 gallon tank. I'm getting one of these bookcases from Ikea.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60071787/
its about 32x42 inches and I'm wondering if it's safe to put a tank on it? Would a 10 gallon be far too heavy and risk breaking the top shelf? I would see about anchoring the shelf to the wall so it wont topple foreward but i'd be afraid of it ripping out (especially since i only rent my apartment )
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #2 
Sparrowhawk

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable about putting something that heavy on a bookshelf like that. I've got my 4 gallon on a reasonably strong bookcase, but my partner and I bought and built two other smaller shelving units to slide under the shelf that had the tank on it, so they support the shelf in the event of the wood buckling. Perhaps I'm just too paranoid for my own good, but I'd rather take precautions than risk having an emergency on my hands. ^.^

If you didn't mind putting supports at any points you think might need bracing, all the way down the shelving unit, it could definitely work though.

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #3 
AkaRyu

Hmm...maybe a 2.5 gallon would be safer? I'm still tossing ideas around as to what tank I want. I know theres a 2.5 gallon for rather cheap at the petsmart here and I can get everything else at my LFS :D
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #4 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaRyu View Post
I'm trying to find a place to put a tank, maybe a 5 or 10 gallon tank. I'm getting one of these bookcases from Ikea.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60071787/
its about 32x42 inches and I'm wondering if it's safe to put a tank on it? Would a 10 gallon be far too heavy and risk breaking the top shelf? I would see about anchoring the shelf to the wall so it wont topple foreward but i'd be afraid of it ripping out (especially since i only rent my apartment )
that thing is flimsy, warp with my books on the shelves (combo or hardback and softbacks), 10LB per gallon is the rule. get an AQ stand , on sale at PetSmart for $50 +/- load up to 20g and in black wood, too.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #5 
mld02004

Petco sells a bookshelf 6.6 gallon tank. I have one in my bookshelf and it fits great. It is a fairly sturdy bookshelf; I wouldn't try it with particle board cheap bookshelf.

Below the 6.6 gallon I also have two 2.5 gallon tanks.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #6 
sarahspins

10 gallons is pushing it... 6.6 is fine, because the weight is more spread out (the tank is longer, and it's less weight than a 10).

Not sure about 5... it would probably be ok. For a while I had two 2.5's side by side and it held that fine, the only thing I'd worry about is you will get more sag with a 5 than I did with two 2.5's.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #7 
Kwomais

I have the taller version of that bookcase, and I agree with Otter, it is super flimsy. Mine has also warped with the weight of my books (granted I DO have a LOT of them). It's just painted particle board and the shelves are held in place with little metal pegs (which is nice because it allows you to change the heights of the shelves to suit your needs) However, even the top is not sturdy enough that I would risk putting even a 6gal on it.

Remember that each litre (3.78L = 1US gal) of water weighs 1kg (2.2lbs), so each even just a 6.6 gal would weigh 55lbs when full of water. And my bookshelf (the taller version of that one) is warping on shelves that have only 20lbs of books on them.
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #8 
AkaRyu

Thank you for the responses! I guess I'll look into a tank/stand combo. I was wanting to put it on the bookshelf because my apartment is rather small. Without moving furniture around, My only other option is to put it on some raised counter space that makes for a funny breakfast bar.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #9 
KnzD

Putting a tank of that size on that bookshelf would not be a good idea. Aquarium stands can look awkward, do you have a desk to put it on? That might be a "nicer" option. If the desk can support your weight it will be able to support your tank.
KnzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #10 
AkaRyu

My desk is rather small, and the space is reserved for art things (me being a graphic designer)
I'm thinking of getting this stand from petco. Theres a large glass case i could move into my bedroom and put the tank in it's place, so it'll be in the main area.
http://www.petco.com/product/114372/...ium-Stand.aspx