Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #1 
emilyyy8

my bettas new home?

I recently just adopted a betta from my friend. She had it in a 2 gallon non filtered tank with a plant and a spongebob house. I have a one gallon under gravel tank with an air stone. I filled it with tap water and put in the recommended amount of conditioner for the water. I let it run for about 16 hours before I put the fish in with only the plant it once had in it's old tank. He swims around for awhile, then sits on the bottom for a bit. Back and forth in that behaivior. I'm wondering what signs I should look for if it is happy in it's new tank or in distress in anyway?
p.s I feed him BettaMin (tropical medley) and he is about 6 months old
emilyyy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Welcome to the forum! One thing you should definitely get for him is a heater. :) Bettas are tropical and should be kept in water between 78 and 82F.

Make sure that the water movement from the filter and airstone don't bother him. Bettas come from very sedentary, low-oxygen water in the wild, and are not amazing swimmers due to their long fins, so can be freaked out by strong or fast water movement.

If you can, more plants or ornaments for him to explore and hide in will help keep him contented. Bettas are curious and love to explore.

Watch out for discolouration, lethargy, lack of appetite, paleness, bloating, fungus, black edges to his fins, tears in his fins, red marks and white dots. Those are all signs of illness of some kind of another.

Pictures? :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 gallon, fish behavior, new tank, sitting on bottom, undergravel filter