Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the baby Jar.

Woah, it's almost been a year since I got my first baby betta, Kuro :)
Now that Kuro's all grown up, I thought it was time for another ...

welcome to the baby Jar, please enjoy your stay. Room temp's a cozy 86F, and the environment's as clean as can be ;)

I've yet to add some ferns in there... but I think I'll wait until that wood decides to sink :(

Equipment:
Glass Jar
Petco black sand (barely any substrate in there) really just for looks
hagen elite 25w adjustable heater
Thermometer
Manzanita twigs
Black lava rock

Plants:
M. Mattogrossense
Susswassertang
Duckweed
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #2 
royal

Cute,really cool idea!
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

You always find the ones I would pick for myself. Hopefully he/she grows up as nicely as Kuro.

Lovely home for it as well. I really need to give M. mattogrossense another go. I melted my last bunch because I left it without lights for too long haha.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

it definitely has Kuro's black eyes XD

m. matto is a weed XD hahaha~ but it's sooo pretty

Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Stop taunting me with your cute fry photos!

Part of me wished you could buy 'baby' bettas here so I could get a couple to grow-out, but the larger part of me is thankful our stores have yet to stoop that low.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hopefully pets paradise never meets petco o_O
that would be horrible.

i think they changed their name now.... Worse chain petstore, ever.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I totally agree. I do not know how they do not get picked up more for cruelty to animals. I believe they had a big thing with parvo in their puppies, and the store in Melbourne Central had a lactating mother cat with kittens in the front window.

I had to ban myself from 'rescuing' any more bettas from the one near my old work as it was just putting ill-earned money in their pocket.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #8 
Option

These petco baby bettas should be ready to eat flake food by the time they're sold, right? I'm just judging from the size I see them sold as but I've never gambled with actually buying one.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I totally agree. I do not know how they do not get picked up more for cruelty to animals. I believe they had a big thing with parvo in their puppies, and the store in Melbourne Central had a lactating mother cat with kittens in the front window.

I had to ban myself from 'rescuing' any more bettas from the one near my old work as it was just putting ill-earned money in their pocket.
Yeah.. their bettas are either dead or dying, their other fish are not much better..
I was originally going to "rescue" a betta from there. until I saw ich on the gold fish. the counter girl was so rude about it when I told her that I simply stromed out of the store. It seemed like she cared more about the store reputation than the health of her fish, bluntly refusing that they had ich and refusing to even look at them o_O (from her behaviour, I could tell that she knew they had ich too, blargh)

No point buying am overpriced abused betta to contribute to further betta abuse. Honestly even for petco they try harder...
only problem is, they order in too many darn betta fish.
I see the store attendant try and change the water but you need to hire someone as a FT water changer with two hundred cups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
These petco baby bettas should be ready to eat flake food by the time they're sold, right? I'm just judging from the size I see them sold as but I've never gambled with actually buying one.
Some can take flakes or crushed pellets, others still don't know how to eat dry food.
i taught my previous two to eat by crushing up pellets and blowing it about the water surface, the movement reins in their interested and got them to try it out.

This current one... was trying to swallow a fd bloodworm whole in his petco cup XD I was like, woah, what a champ, ur coming home!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #10 
blu the betta

it is so cute. i just got three babies.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote