Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #1 
AnchorLegs

Smile New Betta Owner! Need Some Help Please!

Hello! Two weeks ago I bought my first Betta fish and I have a couple of questions. Ok so when I first bought him I only had a small one gallon tank with a tiny heater, but after reading about them more I felt horrible for keeping him in such a small tank so I ran out and bought him a nice new ten gallon tank with a heater and filter. I keep the tank at 78-80 degrees. He seemed to be really happy and swimming about with his new plants and such, but I don't actually know how they are supposed to act. Is it normal for them to be so active? I don't really know because he wasn't before in his small bowl. How do I know if he is happy or if he is actually really stressed? Another thing I need help with is the matter of cleaning the tank. It is a ten gallon one with a filter. How often do I change some of the water? And when I do..I don't really know how. I am worried to death that I am going to change the water and do something wrong and kill him. Also, today I noticed that he has one tiny hole in his bottom fin. Could it just be from flaring? Or maybe one of his plants? I don't think its fin rot so I don't know. :/ I am so worried that it has something do with the water quality of the tank. And three days ago I tested the water with some testing strips and they said the water was fine, but I am just stressed that I am doing something wrong.
AnchorLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #2 
OrangeAugust

Hi!
I'm glad you got him a big tank! Bettas can actually be very energetic when they have enough space. I was so surprised at how much my betta swam around when I moved him from a 1 gal. to a 5 gal. They are actually very energetic and have personalities when they have room to move around.
My first betta used to get "blow outs" in his caudal fin from flaring too much (he used to see his reflection in the tank at night and parade around flaring). They just looked like splits in the end of his fin- not a hole.
As for water changes, it doesn't sound like you cycled your tank before you put your betta in. I cycled my tank with my betta in it, but I did 50% water changes every 2 days until it showed no ammonia or nitrites. The liquid test kits are also much more reliable and accurate than the test strips. That's what a lot of people say, anyway. So I suggest you cycle it and test the water every day for ammonium, nitrite, and nitrate levels and change the water accordingly.
Once your tank is cycled you'll only have to change 30% - 50% of the water per week using a gravel vacuum.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #3 
waterdog

OK, clam down. It sounds like you are doing everything right, so don't stress.

Of course he is active in his new tank, he has room to be active now! Yes they should be activly swimming. If he stops and just lays around, then you have a problem.

The hole in his fin could just be damage you never noticed before cause he wasn't moving around as much. Doesn't sound like fin rot or anything wrong.

In a filtered tank you should change about 30%-50% of the water once a week. Best way is to use a gravel cleaning siphon you can get at any pet store. Turn off your heater before doing it so you don't burn it out if the water level drops too low during changing. That way you can vaccum out the junk in the gravel.

Now sit back and enjoy your new buddy!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #4 
Xaltd1

I've been there!
It's actually unusual for a male w/ those huge fins to zoom around, unless he's a plakat (short fins). He sounds very healthy!
I channel my worries into API's Master Test Kit. If you order it via Amazon. you can get it for less than $20 (over $35 @ Petcosmart). Indulge in the 24 extra test-tubes you can buy through a supplier on Amazon, too. They only give you 4 glass vials w/ the kit; they break easily in a ceramic sink when rinsing. Also, if you get more than one tank (and I predict you will soon enough) you can perform multiple tank tests w/o cleaning those 4 test tubes again. Also, get a good thermometer and a back-up heater (if it's cold where you live). Also, HAVE MEDICINE ON HAND BEFORE he gets sick! If he should get sick @1:00 AM, it will be hours b/f you will be able to get to a store. Read the threads on sickness in bettas; you'll be able to stock a "first aid kit". From what I've read, Epsom salt is the 1st ingredient in your arsenal, but check on other good potions. You might also want to buy some silicone leak repair to have on hand. Prepare for any disaster- inevitably, if one occurs, it will be when the stores are closed!
One hole in a fin isn't cause for concern, but check all tank decorations. I notice sharp points and rough surfaces on commercial aquarium rocks and plastic decorations. I only use smooth stones in my aquariums. Keep an eye on the hole- it's probably nothing & will heal up.
I keep a 2-gal jug w/treated water and a heater in it at all times. If I need to do a water change, I always have some water of the same temp. on hand.
These precautions should let you be able to sleep at night!!!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorLegs View Post
I ran out and bought him a nice new ten gallon tank with a heater and filter. I keep the tank at 78-80 degrees. He seemed to be really happy and swimming about with his new plants and such, but I don't actually know how they are supposed to act. Is it normal for them to be so active?

He's happy because he has warmer water and the heater.
Only thing is if he is rubbing his body against the tank or decor, then look for change of color on the skin. He might have ick triggered by stress.

I don't really know because he wasn't before in his small bowl.

The bowl was probably not heated, so not active because he was cold.

How do I know if he is happy or if he is actually really stressed?
Stress: Look for color loss, it will be very obvious as in pale color and stress stripes. you can search this forum for photos/discussions.

Happy: curious and inquisitive to everything outside of the tank

Insecure or aggressive: flaring the gills & fins, try wearing a black top and stand next to the tank.

Another thing I need help with is the matter of cleaning the tank. It is a ten gallon one with a filter. How often do I change some of the water? And when I do..I don't really know how.
check the sticky on water changes.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #6 
AnchorLegs

Talking

Thank you so much for the help everyone! The hole in Poseidon's fin is all better and I went out and got a gravel cleaning siphon to clean his tank. I am also getting the API's Master Test Kit so I can do better water tests.
AnchorLegs is offline   Reply With Quote