Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #11 
Hadoken Kitty

1.5 liters is far too small for a betta to healthily live in. Photos would be helpful. Bettas are tropical fish, and enjoy warmer waters; anywhere from 78*F - 86* F. Getting a larger tank and heater is suggested. The film is most likely a protein film, as mentioned earlier, which occurs from lack in water motion. With a bowl as small as 1.5 liters, you would honestly need almost daily water changes, but a larger tank would fix that (2 gallons needs 25-50% 2x and 100% 1x weekly). Your betta will eat when it is hungry, but it is most likely ignoring food because it is not feeling as comfortable as you may think. Are you sure he is making a bubble nest? I've included a picture of what a bubble nest looks like. Sometimes the protein film on top of my 2 gallon's tank water traps my betta's regular air bubbles, so it almost looks like a bubble nest, except it isn't one. Most bettas will refuse food and hang out at the bottom of the tank if they are feeling really cold, which is why I suggested a heater. I hope this information helps you. I know that I and the other members would love to see pictures of your baby! (:
Attached Images

Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #12 
Hadoken Kitty

Sorry I posted late! I started rambling, but I missed the part about the ammonia poisoning as well. Darn that was a good one, Kuronue!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #13 
dnw4614

Yeah I definitely realize now that his bowl is too small, I'll make sure to upgrade him. Yup thats exactly what his nests look like. I attached a picture of him the day I got him
Attached Images

dnw4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #14 
Saphira101

Housing
-He is in an approx. 1.5 liter bowl by himself, it is not heated or filtered but the room temp is always at 75F. I'd highly suggest getting a Heater, but make sure you get an adjustable one, and not tetra brand, something like topfin, marineland visitherm or eheim jager. Bettas prefer a temp of 78-82 Fahrenheit.

Food
-Started him on Aqueon betta treat freeze-dried bloodworms (accidentally bought these), Bought him Wardley betta food "color intensifier) but he refused to eat any of it. wardley is mostly wheat-and-grain-based fillers. I'd highly suggest getting him something like new life spectrum, or, if you can't find it, omega one. Make sure you get pellets.
Maintenance
-Performing 100% water changes twice weekly, adding in BettaSafe water conditioner In a tank that small, you should be doing daily water changes, alternating between 100% and 50%. use same temp water. (Hold your thermometer under the tap until it's the right temp, then add conditioner.) Once you get a bigger tank you can do less of these.

Have not done a water test That's okay :)

Symptoms and Treatment
-I noticed just today that his bright blue color has dulled significantly
-Continues to make bubble nests
-Refuses to eat anything
-Hangs out at the bottom of the bowl
-I've had him for two weeks

*I think that maybe the elodea plants in his bowl were dying from lack of sunlight and causing an ammonia build up in the water so I went ahead and removed them from the bowl. Any thoughts on if this is possibly the problem?

I think he's cold and suffering from ammonia burns. I'll bet that if you upgraded to a tank of at least 2.5 gallons with a heater, did more frequent water changes, and fed him something a bit higher in quality, he'd perk up :)

I'm really sorry to give you such a big to-do list, but I've never had success with Bettas unless I did these things.

Good luck with your boy!! ~Saphira

Last edited by Saphira101; 02-28-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #15 
Hadoken Kitty

Are you sure that isn't a half gallon? I know that I have a half gallon bowl that looks incredibly similar to that one.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #16 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Also, you mentioned having 2 elodea plants. Plants have special needs, and usually with an aquarium, you want to avoid sunlight as that can encourage algae bloom, especially if the plants are doing poorly.

Visit this sub-forum- http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147 For help with your plants. They have all the good info on plants ^^
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #17 
Saphira101

Also, Bettas can blow bubble nest even when they're feeling terrible.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #18 
Saphira101

I keep posting after everyone else!! Rar!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #19 
dnw4614

It's possible that it is a half gallon (which would still only be about 2 liters, correct?) bowl. Like I said, I was making a pretty rough estimate. Thank you everyone I really do appreciate your input!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #20 
dnw4614

Kuronue, yeah I think I was being a little too ambitious trying to care for plants as well as a fish, they are pretty much dead so I went ahead and threw them out, my main focus is on making sure my betta stays alive

Tags
dying, help betta fish, needs big tank, not dying, sick beta, won't eat food