Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

Dark Jewels

These are the jewels of my wild betta collection. My Betta persephone juveniles/adults. They are truly beautiful fish, as the photos show.

I unfortunately lost both parents, but I am hopeful that I have at least one pair in here to carry on the line.

I think this is the mature unrelated female I have in there. She lost her partner due to jumping and has been living with them for ages.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #2 
waterdog

I have been wanting to try wild bettas but can't afford the shipping to order them yet. Yours are awesome!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Wild bettas are great. Once you get wilds you'll never want to go back to splendens. There are just so many species to choose from that there is one to suit every taste.

Got a couple more shots. The red fish is my Betta tussyae adult who lost all his spawn siblings early on and is now living with the persephone to keep it company.

Even if there isn't a lot of interest on this board for wilds, I like to get as many nice pictures of my fish out there as wild bettas often do not present well in stores or under bright lights and I want people to see how beautiful these fish truly are.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #4 
waterdog

How many do you keep in the same tank?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

In that tank there are I believe 25. It is the Mr Aqua 12 gallon long and they get large water changes every couple of days to keep the water quality good.

There are a few minor squabbles but since they are siblings and not especially aggressive, nothing major.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #6 
waterdog

I have got to get some. I have a 20 gallon doing nothing. Where did you get your first ones?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

If you are after persephone, your water has to be really soft. As in pH around 5-6 (as low as possible is better) with practically no carbonate hardness.

Where they come from in the wild, the pH can be as low as 3-4 and unlike some of the hardier species of wilds they will not tolerate higher pH or hard water. They also do best in heavily tannin stained water. I have found it makes their colours really pop.

Persephone aren't too common in the hobby here. I got mine from a lady who imports bettas in from overseas. Not sure how to find them in America. One of the only people I know who actually breeds them, is Hermanus from Indonesia. Not sure if he sells to individuals though.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #8 
paris38

Oh they're pretty!I'd like to learn about/keep wild bettas someday.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Got some updated pictures of my persephone. Their colours are amazing now that the water has darkened up considerably, I added some film canisters for possible nest sites and a bunch of hydrilla to provide some top cover.

Just need to fine a nice piece of wood to put in there and that will be it.

This is my rack as it currently stands. I also have three more tanks downstairs. It is quite messy, and will be coming down in the next month or so because of renovations. Going to have a purpose built area for my fish finally.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #10 
Fishy Mom

I absolutely love their long, sleek bodies. You're killing me here because I promised myself I would see if I could get some, but not until I move in a couple of years. I'm moving to an area where all the houses have well water with water softener added. Would they do ok in that kind of water? The water I have in my current house wouldn't work at all.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote