Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

I don't know. They do best in a pH that is at least 6 (ideally less) and in water that has none to very little carbonate hardness. They are pretty sensitive compared to some of the other wild betta species, which is why I don't think as many people keep them.

I have no problems here because our tap water is extremely soft and of excellent quality.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #12 
Fishy Mom

Thanks for the info. I hope you're still around when I'm able to get into keeping these beauties.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Well since I have no intention of getting out of wild bettas barring some unforeseen disaster, I probably will be.

There's still a couple of species left from this complex (coccina, livida and I need a tussyae pair) that I want to source before my 'collection' is complete.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #14 
Fishy Mom

Oh you have to post pics of them if you get them. If I end up with a new beta addiction I'm going to blame you, lol.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #15 
Crowntails

Ah, I want some wild bettas so bad. Someday, but my ph is 7, so it won't happen for now. Your killing me, their natural beauty is just jaw-dropping.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

You could do something like Betta unimaculata, patoti, ocellata. They are bigger mouthbrooding species and don't mind a slightly higher pH. Albimarginata and channoides are two smaller mouthbrooding options that I find to be less fussy. You could probably also do captive bred splendens complex stock (imbellis and smaragdina) as well depending on your personal preferences.

The coccina complex is probably the most sensitive out of all the wild bettas species. Only because they really need the soft water to thrive.

But a lot of the other species (particularly captive bred stock) tend to be able to adjust fairly well to slightly less than ideal parameters (a neutral pH is really not that bad as long as your water isn't extremely hard).
Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #17 
MoonShadow

Love wilds! I've never kept any though I've always wanted to! I would do just about any think for a trio of Betta Macrostomas, but they are pricey and endangered!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah my mum bought a pair (she likes the big wilds) that I was looking after, and my heater malfunctioned and cooked them both. Fortunately, they are not as rare as they used to be and you can order them in from time to time from the wholesaler here in Australia.

I think persephone are nearly extinct in the wild, or at least restricted to only one or two localities now.

It's very sad that the cost of progress in a lot of these countries, is the loss of some of their most beautiful native fauna.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #19 
free2battle1

wait so they don't attack each other?
free2battle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

They do fight and sometimes tear each other up, but most wild bettas can live in breeding pairs or groups without inflicting serious damage like splendens would.

These are also all siblings who have lived together now for 8-9 months so most of their fights are more display than anything.