betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #1 
kyasarin5

Fungus or Bacteria Infection? Swollen Abdomen and Lethargy

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees Farenheit
Does your tank have a filter? Penguin 100
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? one bubble stone and one bubble wall
Is your tank heated? aqueon pro 50 watt aquarium heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none now, previously had 1 black molly but she started being very nippy so had to move her to another tank, she stressed him really bad and nipped at his fins and I didnt realize how bad it was until I saw him hiding in his plants a couple of days ago. She originally only nipped here and and there mostly at feeding time but it gradually got worse and worse. No more mollies with bettas!

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one tropical color flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried daphnia, freeze dried brine shrimp, occasional betta pellets and frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? once daily but he hasn't eat in 4 days

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once to twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tetra water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: less than 5 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: 75
Alkalinity: moderate

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he started looking more and more swollen in his abdomen, then he started growing white cloudy with tiny hairs on his fins (better after swab yesterday) after the molly stressed him and I moved her
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hides behind heater, rapid gill movement (better today), some trouble swimming, not interested in food
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 50 percent water change and jungle fungus clear (tried maracyn and maracyn 2 the day before but no noticeable change and I read it is prob fungus so I did 50 percent water change and ran carbon filter for a few hours before adding new medicine
Does your fish have any history of being ill? never before
How old is your fish (approximately)? almost 1 year old
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would get him in a small bare QT container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range. Cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ and start Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt), tannins with good nutrition. Keep in a dim lit quiet location and hold food for the first 24h.

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal)-Let this steep for at least 30min...Shake well before use.

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today.
He needs to stay in the covered QT in the treatment water for the duration of the treatment period of 10-14 days.

Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water-make 50% water changes daily to complete the treatment duration.
If you used a tannin source-the water in the 1gal jug should look darker each day and this is what you want.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals. If you have access to live mosquito larva-offer several rinsed a couple of times a day to boost protein intake to support the immune response.

Hopefully he will be able to recover...

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #3 
kyasarin5

Rest In Peace Echo <3

Rest in peace my sweet Echo. He passed away while I was at work today. He was in his favorite spot behind the heater and appears to have passed away in his sleep. Thank you for your reply to my post OldFishLady. Your help is always appreciated by me and my bettas.
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #4 
Otterfun

sorry to hear of your loss.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote