Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #1 
heavenlolwut

Two fish, one fin biting the other not sure.

Both of my fish are really worrying me. My blue fish Adonis is a tail biter and recently it has gotten worse and I'm just afraid that he's got fin rot which is why I'm checkin here. The other... is spitting out food and I'm not sure how long it's been going on. A big problem is I'm heading back to my Fiance and I's home town for four days, we're leaving tomorrow morning and coming back on Tuesday morning. I was planning on bringing them with us so I can make sure they're okay. I also have a 10gallon tank that is ready for them but I'm afraid to add them because it's pretty newly set up and I haven't been able to change the water yet but the levels are pretty good (Ammonia lower than .50, mostly 0-.25). I would want to put them in there because I'm hoping it'll make them happier and what not but at the same time I'm afraid to leave them.

Sorry about the horrible pictures. Can't get anything better :c

Adonis, the fin biter.

Vulcan the food spitter-outer

What size is your tank? Adonis 2.5 | Vulcan 1.5 (I think It's a temp. tank)

What temperature is your tank? Adonis 80 | Vulcan 80

Does your tank have a filter? Adonis No | Vulcan No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Adonis No | Vulcan No

Is your tank heated? A: Yes | V: No

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A: None | V: None

Food What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Both get fed New life Spectrum and occasional blood worms

How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 Pellets in the morning 2 at night.

Maintenance How often do you perform a water change? Normally 50 every two-three days and the occasional 100%. For Vulcan 100 Percent changes. I cannot lie I've slacked for a few days because of finals.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See Above

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water decholrinator (Just a drop or two)

Ammonia: both under .25 Nitrite: 0 and 0 pH: Both about 8

Symptoms and Treatment How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Adonis: Fins have been torn more and has a little pinkish color at the tip. When I first got him 7months ago at three months he used to be aqua colors and has since turned more blue, he is currently a little dull.
Vulcan: Spiting out food

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Adonis: Kind of depressed hanging out near the bottom a little more but when I'm next to him he perks up a good amount.
Vulcan: He is a new guy since getting him he's warmed up a lot and is generally active.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Adonis: Wednesday
Vulcan: today.

Have you started treating your fish? Not yet.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nether have but Adonis has torns his tail in the past when stressed or hasn't had enough attention (I know he hasn't recently due to a move in and midterms)

How old is your fish (approximately)? Vulcan: got him about a week or two ago.
Adonis: He is 7months

Last edited by heavenlolwut; 03-01-2013 at 04:37 PM.
heavenlolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #2 
heavenlolwut

I forgot to add! Adonis also just had some of his favorite tank pieces taken out and put into his new tank! Which is also why I think he's a little upset.
heavenlolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #3 
callistra

Those ammonia levels aren't good.. .

Bettas need to be kept in 2 gallons minimum. In these twice weekly water changes of 50% and 100% are needed. Bettas kept in 1 gallon containers live an average of about 2 years compared to double that+ in larger containers. The 1 gallon would need 3 weekly water changes of 50%, 50% and 100%, and even then they will be subjected to ammonia.

The 50% changes the betta can be kept in the bowl and use a turkey baster to remove half the water and as much of the debris as possible. For the 100% you need to remove him - scoop him out with a plastic solo type cup and set aside while you thoroughly rinse the bowl and gravel to remove the debris. Then he should be acclimated to the new water by floating for an hour while you slowly add a couple tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes. When you release him, try to let as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems.

Bettas are tropical fish and must be kept at a temp between 76-82, with 78-80 being ideal. The temp must be stable and not be dipping or jumping around. In a 2 gallon you can get an adjustable 25w heater. Any new heater should be tested for 24 hours in similar size container with in tank thermometer to make sure it will hold a constant appropriate temp between 78-80F. Then the betta must be acclimated to higher temp either by floating in a cup inside the main already fully heated tank for an hour, or by adjusting the heater to increase the temperature of the tank no more than a degree per hour and 5 degrees per day.

4 pellets a day is not enough for NLS. 5 a day, split up into two feedings is minimum. Once fast day a week is needed. If you are feeding blood worms, only feed one as a pellet replacement once a week.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote