Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #1 
boomer

Need help to figure out what Tank Top (Lid) I need for my tank.

I need help figuring out what kind of top I need for my 10 gallon tank.

I am in process of upgrading my betta's 2 gallon home to a 10 gallon tank I bought at petco (I couldn’t find a link to tank, so not sure of dimensions). It is an Aqueon 10 gallon tank. I assume a standard 10 gallon that petco sells.

Well, I bought an AquaClear 20 filter for the tank, and needed to know if any regular glass top lids for the tank will do. For example, if I buy this one. Will the filter also fit? Or does this tank top cover the entire top of tank.

I wanted to also buy a fluorescent light so I can light up the tank, and so I am able to have some plants in there, so would I be able to put a light and just stick it on top of the glass? Or should I buy a combo top? I say this because I have seen some lights that just rest on top over the tank just held on by the edges (example here).

If anyone can recommend a better way to set up the top of my tank, I would greatly appreciate it. To be honest, I have not measured my tanks dimensions; I just assume its standard 10 gallon aqueon dimensions.
boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #2 
waterdog

IMO I think your working this too hard. A standard tank lid with a flouresent bulb works just fine on my 10.
I am more worried you bought too much filter for a betta tank. I forsee flow problems.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #3 
boomer

Thanks for the reply.

Well as for the filter, I have not yet seen it in action as it is still in its box, but reading through the forum here, it seems that some people say it's okay as long as you baffle it. I am thinking of doing a sponge baffle in the end if the current flow is still too strong after adjusting it to low settings.

As for the tank lid, I guess my concern is if I buy a standard tank lid with a fluorescent bulb, will the back still have room for the HOB filter?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #4 
boomer

I think in the end I am going to go with this.

Will this be an issue for my betta? Also I currently have one anubias and a golf sized marimo moss ball. I am thinking about adding more plants later. Will the LED top be a problem?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #5 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
As for the tank lid, I guess my concern is if I buy a standard tank lid with a fluorescent bulb, will the back still have room for the HOB filter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
I think in the end I am going to go with this.

Will this be an issue for my betta? Also I currently have one anubias and a golf sized marimo moss ball. I am thinking about adding more plants later. Will the LED top be a problem?
All lids have punch-outs for HOBs.

Some people like the LEDs and some don't. I have never used them so I can't offer experience.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #6 
sarahspins

If you end up buying a glass lid, they all have a strip of plastic at the back that can be cut to accomodate your filter or heater or anything else.

FWIW, if you want an all in one LED lid, walmart has one that is about $20 - it's not bright enough for plants, but neither is the one you linked.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #7 
boomer

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know that they had a way to allow for HOB filters (I was assuming these were meant for filter less hoods).

I want to be able to expand and put some more plants inside my tank, so most likely I will stick to fluorescent top. To be honest, looking for a hood is much harder than it sounds. That or I am just being a little picky with it.

I did find this hood (although it is quite pricy), which seems like something a little more along the lines what I want.

Shopping around on Amazon gets to be a bit discouraging since most hoods either don’t have reviews, or have very low ratings. Does anyone have any recommendation for a fluorescent hood they use? I think if all else fails, I am going to go ahead and order this one tomorrow.

Last edited by boomer; 02-28-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #8 
boomer

I did find it cheaper now at Petsmart if anyone is interested in a 10 gallon fluorescent hood. I might stop by today after work and pick this one up. I think this is what i'm looking for.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #9 
syds mom

If your going with plants then stay away from LED. I bought a 5 gallon with led at walmart and have hated it. The lid is so cheap and flimsy, not worth 5 cents. I would go with the one from petsmart. They are nice and you can see the fish.
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #10 
VJM

I have a glass top, and a Deep Blue Solar Flare Mini. Very successful with plants. My other tank has a glass top and a desk lamp from Home Drpit with a Colormax bulb in it. You would need two lamps for a ten gallon. Or, get a glass top and a Finnex Fugeray.

Just suggestions, no right answer.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote