Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #1 
Sparta321

Need More Bettas for Sorority

So I started out with my 10 gallon betta fish sorority with 4 girls. Recently, one of them died due to internal damages, so I'm left with only 3. I know that 4 is the least you could go, and 5 would be recommended. I want to get more bettas to add to my tank to spread out the aggression, but I'm not exactly sure how. I know I shouldn't add one fish to the tank because my 3 original girls would most likely kill her. So I was thinking of adding 3 more? I know odd numbers are best but I want to add enough fish to balance everything out without overstocking. Any advice on how to introduce my fish or how many I should get?
Sparta321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

It's a myth that odd numbers are best - fish (we presume) can't count numerically the way we do, so it really doesn't make a difference to them. :)

When you buy your new fish (and I agree, two or three more are definitely a good idea), quarantine them for a fortnight, if possible, to make sure they aren't brining in new illnesses. This may mean that you float their bags in the sorority tank for a fortnight to keep them warm and just do daily 50% water changes for them.

When you release them, remove all the girls from the tank and re-arrange the decor. Then add all 5 or 6 of the girls back in at once. This will mess up the hierachy and theoretically prevent your older girls from recognising it as their tank and getting all territorial. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #3 
Sparta321

Oh that's a great idea! Thanks so much for the help!!!!! :)
Sparta321 is offline   Reply With Quote