Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #1 
kngiraffe

how to make a sponge filter?

i have the airstone, i have a sponge i have the air pump, i have tubing and i have a clear through pipe tubing like pvc pipe?

now, what do i do? how do i make it?
kngiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #2 
kngiraffe

well, the sponges that i got tonight i can't use, but does anyone who know to make one?!

Last edited by kngiraffe; 02-28-2013 at 06:34 PM.
kngiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #3 
Kwomais

Here's a tutorial (and she's making it for a 2.5gal betta tank!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXcFEZhhKh0
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

i just made one this afternoon, it's incredibly easy!

take the sponge (the one i used is about an inch wide, so that's the frame of reference i'm going by) cut it into sections so it's relatively cubic (i did mine in quarters so it's 4 inches by 4 inches by 4 inches)

cut off about 6 inches of piping (i used the hose from a gravel vacuum, we're getting a new one tomorrow) take a knife, and cut a hole straight through all but the bottom piece on the stack. take the bottom piece, cut roughly 1/2 of the way through it.

push your piping all the way through the stack, till it's nestled in the half-hole at the bottom. take three zip-ties and push the end through the whole stack, then zip them together at three points to keep it together.

take an aquarium-safe rock or other small, heavy object and silicone it to the bottom of the filter. this will give it negative buoyancy and keep it in place in your tank. allow 24-48 hours to dry fully.

take a length of airline, a small-sized airstone and a pump, attach the stone to one end and the pump to the other. thread the stone and airline down to the bottom of the piping and plug the pump into an outlet.

it should now be pumping air down into the filter, forcing water in through the bottom and out the piping at the top. congratulations, you've made a sponge filter.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

There is this one on Amazon.com for $3.99 with free shipping. I have not bought one so far but at least one betta owner bought one and gave it a positive review:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A7SIQ2Y2T11UM
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #6 
waterdog

Click on the link in my signature and you will see everything you need to know about making a sponge filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote